The kids were so good today at the doctor appointment for their three year well-visit and didn't even cry when they got their flu shots. Lance and I, of course, were nervous nellies since we were listening to every parent come in there and say their child had a fever of 103 all weekend, this one has been vomiting, etc., etc. and the kids they were talking about were running around touching everything and trying to play with K&T. I really wish there was a separate waiting area for sick and well kids. I think they tried to get the sick ones out of there quick, but I was really a bit annoyed at the parents who were just letting their children play with the other children even though they were there because they thought their child's illness was bad enough for a doctor visit! Here's hoping we didn't pick up anything - although I did while at a wedding this weekend in Indiana (big, big thank you to So-So and Ray-Ray for watching the kids for us again) so if they do get sick I won't know if it is my fault or the doctor visit (where they always seem to pick up something).
Anyway, they got a good check-up report. I find it very hard to believe since Tyler seems so much heavier than Katie, but they were only a pound apart - Tyler at 31 pounds and Katie at 30. Katie is 3 feet tall, and Tyler has her by one inch at 3 foot, 1 inch. They are both in about the 50th percentile for weight, and 25th for length. Katie's little head is almost a full inch smaller than Tyler's - I guess it goes along with her teeny tiny feet that have just now grown to a size toddler 6. I think we are going to have to pick up some wide shoes for Sweet T since they have grown a bit in length (he is in an 8/9 I think) but seem to just keep getting wider and wider :)!
Poor Tyler, during the course of the regular check-up the doctor said that little man was wheezing pretty bad. I didn't even notice, especially since the coughing has subsided somewhat since his very slight cold (or maybe weather change) the last week or so. We have been giving him breathing treatments periodically to try to curb the coughing, but didn't notice any retracting or wheezing. Our doctor, though, wants him back on the albuterol every four hours, wants him to take prednisone (yuck, yuck - that is what makes him so angry and irritable) for a week, and then wants to see him back in 7 days. When we do go back we are going to get a child inhaler/spacer device with mask that should be a little quicker to use for Tyler, and talk again about putting him on something daily preventative. I had hoped he would grow out of the asthma stuff, but it seems like it is something he will have to deal with for a while :(. I really want to get him in to see an allergist to see if there are any triggers that we can minimize, and I am glad that we are sitting down with the doctor after this course of treatment and devising a plan going forward of how we are going to deal with it, what we need to be on the look-out for, etc. My crappy, no co-pay insurance is going to take a beating again this winter it seems, and we have to add dental appointments into the mix now for these two big kids! BUT, we are pretty much done with diapers/pull-ups in the day and getting there at least with Tyler at night, and since they are still pretty short a lot of their pants and jeans from last year will still fit so that's good news! Still, if you know of anyone looking to buy or sell real estate in TN please send them Lance's way :)!
2 comments:
Shellie,
I just wanted to say that Hutch has asthma too but his is as of now, very well controlled. We see Dr. Belleau, a ped allergist in Cool Springs, and had him allergy tested so we know his triggers. And he is on Singulair daily. He recently got his adenoids out which has made a huge difference too. Also, we tried the Flovent (daily maintenance asthma med with the spacer) and any type of steroid makes him act terrible so we couldn't do it. Just my 2 cents I wanted to share! Kelly Weaver
Thanks Kelly! Steroids are horrible for Tyler too, but for him a maintenance drug they put him on (can't remember which one) was just as bad. I will definitely look into a ped allergist and reallly hope that we can find some medication that doesn't turn my sweet boy into a monster!
Post a Comment