Monday, January 23, 2012

Go here, go there!

I never would have imagined that we'd need to employ elaborate planning to keep up with the schedule when the kids were just three years old, but it sure seems like organization will be key in the next few months! Katie is still enrolled in dance class (and absolutely loves it). She will have a recital in May and classes every Saturday up until then. Tyler is begging to go back to Tumble Tots, and we may after a session of preschool swim lessons. We are anxious to get them swim lessons because they love the water and we love taking them swimming, but would be more comfortable if they had a little training in water without us and especially some safety lessons from someone in addition to us! Those start next week and I must admit that I am nervous as well as excited - it will be hard to watch them and not be in the water to hold and guide them! We have talked about doing soccer and the kids say they want to, but we will see since I hear a lot of people say three is too young for organized sports. To top it all off, my tennis season starts soon and I am enrolling in a boot camp (eek) at the Y starting this week. Lance's business has picked up some (woohoo), and getting everyone where they want and need to be will probably be challenging in the next few months, but I think it is good for all of us to get to play and enjoy hobbies and in the case of the kids, find new interests.

I still have the lingering stress of trying to figure out the school situation, but after calling everyone and getting information from all places with PK and Jr. Kindergarten I just don't know how we can swing it. Even the metro PK program at the elementary school they will attend is pretty expensive when you factor in two children (even though it is at a public school they do charge for PK), and the equally as taxing expense of after care. It seems that most people I know have both parents working, but none of the programs (at schools or the Y) seem to be very working parent friendly. The PK programs end at 2:00 or 3:00 and then charge an arm and a leg for aftercare, and all of the things at the Y start at 5:00, which is pretty difficult to get to when I am not even off work until then! I will still probably try to get them into the PK program at the elementary school by our house and if they get in see what we can work out in terms of before and after care (I may be able to switch around my work schedule to get done a little earlier if need be). Who knows, maybe by then we will have won the lottery :) (although I guess we need to start playing in order to win)!

No comments: