Thursday, August 2, 2012

Assembly Challenged

I am searching for gifts for T & K for their birthday coming up soon and when trying to make a decision between two car tracks that I know Tyler would love, I realized that we are completely pathetic in the parenting department when it comes to reading and interpreting toy directions!  We had a track in our garage that was "hidden" there because it had a piece missing and couldn't be fully put together (I forgot that when Tyler begged me to get it out last night).  I, and then Lance, got so frustrated at trying to follow the instructions to assemble it that we finally convinced the kids that the way it ended up (not put together correctly) was the way it was supposed to be.  I didn't realize just how much "toy assembly" fear I had until I was searching for a new track for them to share as a birthday gift and found myself leaning toward choosing the car track that needs the least assembly, compared to one that looks impossible! They are still in their car phase (sure to be over as soon as I buy a new set for them, though) and when we went fishing the little boy out there was playing with a pretty cool car track that I found on Amazon (his mom had picked hers up at Goodwill and I don't think we will get as lucky to find that there). It has interlocking, easy to put together pieces that can make a track in pretty much any design (unlike the tracks we have now that have to be put together in some very complicated way and then when we inevitably lose a piece don't work at all) and uses battery operated cars.  However, they are also very in to pretend play and still love their parking garage so I initially was looking for a car track "city."  Katie, especially, would love that - their cars (and bikes when they ride them, too) are always getting gas, or going to pick up their kids, or going to Publix!  I think I have convinced myself that they can play pretend city pretty well with what they've got and that the iPlay track will be a better option, but I am not positive that I am making that decision without thinking about how daunting the city would be to put together :)!

The Hungry Hippos board game is a big hit, and Tyler still wants to play it any chance he gets.  Lance and I have very differing views on board games - I love them and he doesn't - so he doesn't think they are good gifts.  I, on the otherhand, think it is a great benefit of having a twin brother/sister that you can play games together and both of you are at the same level!  Most of the games for younger children still require reading, but there are a couple that I know they would like (Don't Break the Ice/Fishing) that I may get them and sneak in as gifts for their birthday, or maybe even to take with us on vacation in case of rain :).  Speaking of reading, I am still the "bad guy" when I pick the kids up "too early" from school.  They love it and are usually having too much fun to want to leave.  The other day the kids were all taking turns "reading" to the class or telling stories when I came in and I let Tyler have his turn before we left.  He picked up his chosen book and was "reading" it to everyone.  He was so cute trying to hold it like a teacher so everyone could see, but still pretend like he was reading the words.  He seemed to be pretty spot on with the pictures and what he was saying and when he was done the teacher commented that he has "a truly amazing memory."  It is pretty crazy to see and hear him remember the words and when to turn the pages so well that you could actually think he is reading.  It is also pretty crazy to realize that they really do need to learn to read soon since it is pretty much expected that they know how by Kindergarten these days!  I guess it is a good thing that they won't start Kindergarten until they are 6, since I think actual reading is pretty far off although they are both getting better at sounding out words.  The other day when we were in the parking lot Tyler was sounding out the store we were at - with the exception of "Dick's" having the c and k (kuh) sound twice when you say it all together and goods becoming "gods" - they got all the sounds right and were able to put it together!  If you ask them how to spell something though, watch out, Katie has been known to tell you that you spell CAT - CZYTMPLFV - and then break out in a song about that being how you spell it :-)!

Hopefully, our broken air conditioner is being fixed today and we will have a a cool escape from the hot day we plan to spend at the Williamson County Fair on Saturday!  We are also going to a birthday party for a preschool friend of theirs - so a fun-filled weekend ahead!

No comments: