Monday, February 4, 2013

Too much fun?

We had a busy weekend, and somewhere along the way picked up yucky flu germs :(.  So far (and fingers crossed that is stays that way since it is more dangerous for Tyler because he has/had asthma) Katie is the only one feeling bad.  We had a birthday party Saturday morning, Uncle Matthew and Ray-Ray came to visit Saturday afternoon and some friends came over Saturday evening who have a little girl the kids age.  They all had fun running around and playing and we had fun catching up with some good friends who we rarely get to see.  On Sunday we went to Bowie and played on the playground and fed the ducks (and slayed some dragons apparently) with a friend of theirs from preschool.  Sunday night we had a few people over for the Super Bowl and there was another couple of friends for the kids to play with.  We all had a great time - the kids entertaining each other which gave us some time to enjoy adult company.  All was well until Sunday night when Katie came into our room crying and burning up.  We gave her some medicine that didn't really touch the fever (102 down from 103 after medicine).  She slept fitfully in the bed with us and woke up still feeling awful.  I took Tyler to school and went to work to grab some things to work on from home and talked to a co-worker whose children had the flu last week and she said one of hers got tamiflu and one didn't and that the one with the medicine was much better.  So, I made an appointment at the doctor (wasn't going to since there isn't really anything they can do for a fever) to see if  we needed tamiflu and he said that she did seem to have the flu even though we got the shots for the whole family.  With all of the things going on this weekend I think we just encountered a lot of germs that we haven't been exposed to playing with kids from three different schools in town.  But, there were a few other children out today from their school (Tyler tells me the whole red table which is Katie's table was out) so she could  have gotten it last week, too.  Either way, she is feeling pretty miserable right now and I am hoping we can fight it quick. 

Our pediatrician (who is awesome) asked about the last time we gave Tyler albuterol and when I started thinking back it has been almost a year!  That is great news and I am hoping he is growing out of his breathing issues.  He asked because asthmatics are often given preventative tamiflu (that stuff is expensive, by the way) if they have needed treatment within the year.  We will definitely take him in at the first sign of a fever so we can get him started on the medicine if he comes down with it, but hopefully he can avoid it all!  I would really like to as well since I have pictures for that award I received, on Friday, but I am not holding my breath since all Katie wants to do is sit on my lap and sleep snuggled up with me.  She is so pitiful though, that I don't mind too much.

No comments: