Saturday, May 24, 2014

My kids...

My kids are pretty funny.  They really crack me up these days.  Tyler and I had a 30 minute conversation today about whether or not he can be a pirate when he grows up, and the conclusion was that he can search for treasure, but not steal.  It took a long, long time to get to that point!  Katie's funny moment of the day was coming in to our room at 6:00 AM in her bathing suit, asking me how many times she had to count to 100 before it would be time to go (to the pool that opened today), and ultimately deciding it would be a better idea to "count in my mind."  The pool didn't open until 10:00! We had a great day at the pool on opening day!  Tomorrow is a beach bash and fireworks that should be fun, and hopefully Lance can be with us tomorrow so we can get more swimming practice in.  They both wanted to work on swimming without floaties, but I am not entirely comfortable two on one with no floaties just yet!  I did let them use the kickboards and ring with no floaties when my friend was there with her little boy as a bit of back-up, but they both still have a long way to go before they are proficient swimmers! 


We opted not to go to the celebration of life service for Katie's classmate.  I was on the fence, anyway, and gave them the option and they chose not to go.  Tyler asked to pray about it, and we had some good discussions, but I think they will be fine not going.  I think it would have been good if we had gone to the service, as it would provide some closure and an opportunity to say goodbye and support the family, but I also don't think it is the worst thing in the world to let them process it on their own terms and for me to make sure I am ready and willing to answer any questions they may have but let them dictate how they want to handle this grieving process.  It is such a heartbreaking situation, and I, for sure, have spent the last few days since the devastating news holding on to the kiddos a little tighter, hugging longer, and giving in to reading one more book a bit more often! I am so grateful for the opportunity to spend a day like today with my kids!   

No comments: