Thursday, August 28, 2014

What to do?

Poor Tyler is having a real problem with school so far this year.  This morning he told me he did not want to go to school, that he doesn't like school, and that his teacher is really mean (and he said that she even knows she's mean).  I just don't know what to do.  I am trying to be encouraging and to find out why he thinks she is mean (in case I can explain that she is teasing), but he seems really insistent that school is not for him.  I hate that and really want him to like and do well in school.  I am going to try to hold out on talking to his teacher until our parent/teacher conference - but that isn't until November.  I don't want to coddle him or her to feel like that is what I want, but I also don't want his early school years tainted by a bad experience that could be fixed with just a little explanation that my very literal little man doesn't "get" sarcasm and joking.

The good thing is that he really likes the extracurricular stuff involved with school - he loves his aftercare program, is really excited about being a cub scout (fishing rodeo this weekend), and is enjoying baseball so far, too (no games yet, though - just practice). If we can just get him to be more positive about what he is actually there for, all will be better.  Katie seems to like her teacher and is doing pretty well - she hates homework though, which is very reading heavy (or maybe it is just for us - I am not sure if I am supposed to be making her read all of the stories and questions or if I am supposed to read it to her and ask her the questions - but having her read everything takes forever and she gets tired of it after about 30 minutes) and she has started saying that she hates reading and math.  Apparently first grade (rather than Kindergarten) is the real testing ground and maybe signs are pointing to them repeating.  They are doing okay academically, but maybe they need a repeat year to feel more confident and to have more positive feelings about school and school work.  It is early so I of course am not making any big decisions now, but it is something to consider.  If we did move, we may put them into first grade upon the move to a new county, but only if that is the best decision for both of them - hopefully things will improve to the point that those kinds of decisions aren't on the radar.

Big weekend planned!  Fishing rodeo and scout activities on Saturday for Tyler (Katie gets to go along).  He has practice that he will probably miss but he wants to try to go and then go back for more fishing.  We are having a little birthday celebration for them on Sunday, will hopefully spend some time at the pool on Monday (last day they are open), and then Tuesday is their actual birthday!  I can't believe my little ones are six years old - they, however, want to skip six and just tell everyone they are seven (like a lot of their classmates)!



No comments: