Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Yuck, again...

We had an awesome short trip to the beach.  The weather was pretty perfect - sunny and mild every day.  Getting in to the water was a little less appealing since it was colder than ideal, but it was doable.  Katie "adopted" her float/dog "Sandy" early in the trip and we couldn't keep her out of the water!  Very few waves and not much current meant easy water play - and there were actually lots of kids there so they all had a ball making up games to play every day from morning until late in the day.  
We had  lots of good food, of course, and got to spend time together - which seems pretty rare right now since the kids are always playing with friends when home and not doing homework or sleeping!  It is always fun to re-connect and to see the kids enjoying being with each other and us!


The "yuck" kind of started while we were at the beach.  We got an email from Tyler's teacher advising us to check heads for lice.  We did and didn't see anything - but apparently the sand and sunscreen hid them because once we got home I checked them again before leaving for school Tuesday morning and sure enough, Katie was infested.  I kept her home and treated her hair while washing everything in the house and after two hours I thought they were gone.  She went to work with me (and was a big helper when I needed to fill-in for a teacher break in the baby classroom) and then we went to get Tyler.  He was scratching his head constantly and I feared that I either missed them or he had acquired them at school.  I did a quick check of both of them and promptly went to the store to get three more kits (those things are pricey, but I decided I needed to do it too).  The second treatment for Katie and first for Tyler was much easier but there were still a few nits - so gross.  A friend of Katie's whose mom I suggested check her daughter also had it and they called the "lice doctor."  She highly recommended them - but $175 an hour (!) wasn't worth it to me after having already spent multiple hours on my own.  If we can't get rid of them, though, I may change my tune.  She did send me their aftercare protocol and we will give that a go since it is at home stuff - olive oil overnight!  

Despite that unwelcome start to the week I'm surprisingly still feeling pretty relaxed and content , probably thanks to the vacay.  This weekend we are supposed to have a baseball tournament for Tyler (but it is also supposed to rain), two football games, two birthday parties, basketball evaluations, and probably other things I am forgetting, so we are back full-force busy!  We did get Halloween costumes while at the beach.  They are definitely not creative this year - they are Darth Vader and Princess Leia - but they are very excited.  We will see how they handle the big hills in the new neighborhood - and I am anxious to find out how many visitors we will have!  

No comments: