Friday, February 18, 2011

Wanderer

Well, it happened. The kids have been waking a bit earlier than usual lately - need to invest in some black-out curtains maybe since they seem to sleep until the sun comes up, but if it is cloudy they stay asleep longer - and going to sleep later too (Katie was a grouchy one this morning because she didn't settle down until 9:00 last night - about an hour and half later than usual). They are usually content and just talk quietly both when they go to bed and in the mornings, but this morning Katie was screaming loudly at Tyler demanding that he give her the Dora toy (that was left on the floor outside of their cribs when we went to bed). Well, even though it was early Lance decided to go in and see what was going on and as he got to their bedroom the door was opening and Tyler was coming to get us! Yep, he not only got out of his crib (without us hearing a loud thump or anything), but he also managed to open their closed bedroom door, and taunt Katie for good measure. I guess they are getting taller without my noticing, because just a month or so ago he was trying to figure out door handles but wasn't tall enough to get them - time for the door handle covers to go on the front and back door for sure! Tyler is an escape artist anyway - he runs away from me at school and gets to the place on the playground where I can't get him - like inside of a little house, or under the slide, manages to get out of his carseat no matter what I do to try to prevent it, and really finds a way into just about anything he isn't supposed to be in or near. So, now that he has done it and it was fun I am sure his staying in bed (and definitely the pack-n-play we use for nap) is a thing of the past. The kids sure are funny lately - the things they say and do really crack us up and they are quite fun to be around - but along with more verbal abilities and playing pretend, and comprehension, and general toddler silliness, also seems to be more stubborness, and defiance. I never knew, before I had children, that you could be overcome with pure joy and tears of love, laugh hysterically and be completely happy and content, and then be really annoyed and frustrated all in the span of 10 minutes! I wouldn't trade getting to be their mom for a minute, though and it is definitely not too early to move them to toddler beds, we just aren't ready to be up with the sun - time to get that tot clock for sure, I just hope it works!

No comments: