An online "journal" that keeps track of the day to day fun and adventure involved with raising boy/girl twins, and chronicles the milestones, and picture memories of Katie and Tyler.
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Bed Dilemma
So, I went to a consignment sale today and looked at some bedding after picking out lots of clothes that I had to eventually put back because of the long lines (I was on my lunch break and thought I could get in and out but everyone must have had the same idea). Toddler bedding is very scarce there and at stores and it got me thinking - do most people skip the toddler bed transition and go straight to twin beds? Informal polls of friends and message board groups seem to indicate that going to twin beds right out of cribs takes an edge over toddler beds unless the child is moved into a "speciality" toddler bed such as a racecar or a Dora or princess bed. So, I am weighing the options. Our cribs convert (supposedly - I looked at them briefly and as best I can tell they call a toddler bed just the crib without the front panel) to toddler beds, twin beds and full size beds. That means that the current mattresses we are using work for the toddler setting and all we would need is to get a comforter for each of them (looking for character ones that are decent looking, good quality, and affordable that they will be excited about that will hopefully keep them in bed), and of course we would actually have to figure out how to convert them too. If we went to twin beds we would need new mattresses and bedding, but they would last a lot longer and cut out what may be an unnecessary step. Realistically, they will probably be in twin beds for a while, but toddler beds will probably be only until 3, 3 and 1/2 at best. Some people even say that their kids stayed in a twin bed better because it was a bit bigger and wasn't as easy to get in and out of. A friend compared it to potties - people recommend not using the small portable potties because you end up training them twice - once to use those, and then again to use the "big" potty and that one is usually harder because they are older and used to the little one. For my kids, I think the smaller, shorter bed will work for longer than it does for some others because they won't outgrow it as quick. I know us, though, and it probably is better to just convert those things once - considering how "handy" we are. We've absolutely got to do something, though, so I'm looking at toddler bedding, twin bedding, mattresses, etc. and making a decision ASAP! I am already in mourning over lost sleep and it has only been a week or so - I guess I should just be grateful that we have enjoyed sleeping "late" (7:00 am) for over 2 years now and a lot of people don't even get that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment