Monday, April 4, 2011

Storms!

We had some really bad storms today and the tornado sirens were going off downtown. We are close enough to downtown that if those go off we react and immediately every free hand at the school was enlisted to help move kids to the bathrooms in their classrooms. I went immediately to the kids room to help out in there since they have the most kids because it is a split room. Everyone was picking up sleeping children and taking them to the bathroom while explaining in toddlerese what was going, and the cutie little ones were so disoriented and confused about it all since up until that moment they were all sleeping soundly (even my two!). Tyler was picked up first by someone else and I went to the children sleeping closest to the windows because it was really scary outside and very, very windy and we wanted to move them as soon as possible. As I brought kids to sit next to Tyler in the bathroom he just kept telling them all that "we in the bathroom together," and didn't seem to think it was anything out of the ordinary that I was in his room. I ended up picking up Katie (who is notoriously very grumpy if woken up) and putting her in the bathroom -which I think helped with her not being completely freaked out by some stranger waking and moving her. I had to basically just drop them off and run to some other classrooms since there are 200 kids between the ages of 2 and 4 at the center and all of the teachers needed help (kids sleep amazingly soundly and some were very difficult to rouse and pick-up). After we got all kids to their safe place I went back to peek in on my two and they were doing fine and didn't seem to be fazed in the least by hanging out in the bathroom with all of their classmates or that I had just been in the classroom. So, the charade of me pretending to not work there is still going strong :)! I don't know what they think about me showing up periodically and very randomly (if I have to give a tour to a group, if the door is open and they see me walk by, if they are on the playground when I have to go to my car, or if I have to introduce a volunteer to the room) but they seem to take it in stride and haven't yet put two and two together to the point that they are seeking me out in my office. I know I would have been terrified if they weren't with me today since I was unable to find out what was going on (my phone keeps shutting off and wouldn't connect to anyone) since I couldn't get in touch with Lance and kept hearing about damage in areas close to home. I was glad that I was able to be reassured by seeing them in the midst of the chaos, and that makes all of the shenanigans of trying to trick two year olds (since I don't trust that they would behave as well as they do if they knew I was around) worth it!

No comments: