I really thought we were way past any kind of separation anxiety but for the last few weeks Tyler has been really clingy to me anywhere we go, and particularly at school. He has to literally be dragged away from me every morning. It breaks my heart and I really hope that it ends soon. I have no clue why he started this up again - it could be because the teachers are preparing them for a new classroom and Tyler does NOT like change, maybe because we left them with my dad and my mom for extended times, or maybe just a new awareness that he is not with me. Whatever it is, I am assuming it is just a stage and hoping that it doesn't get worse when he actually does change rooms! Luckily, that has been delayed somewhat because even though they were the most ready in their class to move up (which is why they told me they were moving them early), they are the youngest and they are having to move some of the other children first who are already 3 to make room for some younger incoming children who would probably do better with smaller, younger children as they make the adjustment.
They have done pretty well with bedtime the last two nights, but we are definitely not out of the woods! Katie was playing pretend the other day and put me to bed (complete with a tuck-in and hug and kiss) and kept coming back in the room telling me "do not touch lights, stay in bed, be a big girl," so I know it is getting through I just fear that it is more fun and games than real admonishment! I am really hoping they improve somewhat so we don't have to separate them, but I am going to move to twin beds sooner than later since I think that will be more bed-like and less enticing to jump in and out of (probably wishful thinking). They are really cracking me up with their conversations on the way to school. Katie has an imaginary pink house, and Tyler has a pretend blue house (but he often paints it different colors) and their tales of what they have at the house and what we can do when we go there (or take the house on the airplane like this morning) are hysterical. Their obsession with airplanes makes me want to take a field trip to the airport. Katie told me this morning that she was a big girl and I agreed and she said so, I go on an airplane ride now? I don't think the reality of an air trip will live up to their expectations, but probably the first time they fly will be to Disney World in a year or so which means that they may actually think air travel is fun! They have a pretty good idea of what most things they say mean - but there are still two words that they have no clue but say all the time - spicy and tiny. Everything is too spicy, and Tyler says "I think it is tiny" all the time as in when he responded to my question of if he had a good day at school he said Maybe, but I think it was too tiny! I don't have any recent pictures - maybe I will get some tonight. We are going to Monkey's Treehouse (friends are having a fundraiser to raise money to adopt a child), but only if the kids are good - yesterday their teachers said that they were not behaving at all, spent most of their time in the naughty chair, and that they definitely did not have their listening ears on! Tyler was primarily just grumpy and whining - I think he is still adjusting to a little later bedtime with the same wake up time and no nap, but he has also had to be on albuterol treatments :( - which always make him a little off. Katie is, I think, just finally getting comfortable around all the folks there, and unfortunately I think being "bad" is just her being Katie. She isn't bad really, she is just really full of herself and mischevious and a clown and realizes that none of the "punishment" or threats are really a big deal and prefers to act up rather than listen and do what is asked!
No comments:
Post a Comment