The weather looks like it is going to be rough for Halloween - I really hope that changes because the kids have been on countdown for a month and haven't had a chance to wear their costumes at all. Typically we go to Fall Festivals where they can wear them, and they can usually wear them to school - but not this year. We had a Fall celebration in the neighborhood yesterday and some of the kids wore their costumes to that, but since it included a bounce house, chili dogs and making smores - I didn't think it was a good idea for K&T. They jumped for two hours and had a blast. On Saturday they had a good time out at the birthday party for a friend and then were excited that Cousin Liz was coming over to watch them while Lance and I got to go catch-up with some old friends. That was fun for everyone!
This week is going to be stressful enough without Halloween being cancelled so I hope the weather holds off - we can trick or treat in the rain, but they are saying storms and that isn't good. As we wait to see what Thursday holds (and I have a field trip with the kids from work that I am chaperoning on that day too that we don't want bad weather for) - we have a lot going on in the meantime! We have to make book character pumpkins for each of their classes and I am not crafty or artistic at all so I have been just dreading this project. The kids have very specific ideas of what they want to do, but unfortunately I know the ones we have seen on pinterest are nothing like what we will actually be able to create. We will attempt it this evening, though, after their dentist appointment. Katie has been begging to carve our pumpkins, too, so that's on the agenda one of these nights - I really hope they don't have much homework this week. They have a field trip tomorrow, class party on Thursday, and no school on Friday (parent conference day) so for them it should be a really fun week. For me, it reminds me that being a working mom is really hard. I have a million things I need to do for both work and home and feel like nothing is getting done. A friend posted on her Facebook about the struggles of working moms and how she feels like she is drowning (I can so relate) and I need to try take the advice I gave to her that basically reminds all of us perfectionist, want to "have it all" moms that most of our worries are just "small stuff" and that happy kids learning to be good people, and good citizens is the goal and that doesn't take as much as we think! I get stuck in these cycles where I stress about the house and car not being clean, not working on sight words with the kids often enough (even though they are both ahead and there is no need to rush it for either one), not preparing healthy, family meals every night, etc., etc. and sometimes I just have to recognize that most of this really won't matter in a few years, and just work on giving my time, attention and effort to the things that will!
Fingers crossed for Halloween - my "nice witch" and "construction worker" will be very disappointed if it's a no go!
No comments:
Post a Comment