Thursday, April 8, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For!

So, all of you know that I have been hyper-sensitive to the kid's speech development and word acquisition. The ladies at their daycare say they are doing awesome, and I actually think they are pretty much on track now too. Katie still "talks" more, but Tyler has more actual words. They both get their point across very well though, even without knowing the words. Yesterday Katie came up to me and sat down with her shoes in hand while holding her feet up and saying "soos" - that meant that she wanted me to put her shoes on, so I did. Then she popped up and started saying han, han - which meant that she wanted to hold my hand, so I offered it to her and she began to lead me around. Well, she then led me straight to the backdoor and said "outsi." When I told her we couldn't go out there she took my hand again and tried to take me to the front door and then of course when I told her we couldn't go there either (I was by myself and outside is difficult two on one these days- especially when Tyler wants to just climb the steps and the deck the whole time) she started jumping (she is quite the jumper) up and down and having a fit. Tyler was smarter about it - he was holding my hand too (of course, since he saw his sister do it and couldn't be left out) and then when he realized he wasn't going to get what he wanted he coerced me into picking him up and then instigated the death grip with his legs around my waist everytime I tried to put him down! Nana Pam says he has turned into quite the little bossy boy at daycare too - telling everyone to stop, or saying no while wagging his finger if someone is doing something he doesn't want. Katie does that to him at home, so I guess he thinks he has control when they are away, at least over someone (probably still not Katie though). Anyway, the point of the post (from which I really digressed) was to say that one word we have really been working on is "more." I wanted them to be able to tell me if they were still hungry or thirsty. Well, they get it! My little fruit-aholics (still don't understand that one, although Lance likes fruit too and I just never bought any for him) were each given a fruit cup after their meal yesterday, which used to be plenty. They devoured it (after already eating chicken and dumplings and green beans) and started yelling "more," "more" and pointing at the pantry. It was incessant - and even though we just went to the store to buy fruit on Saturday there was no "more." A cookie (still called doodoo by Tyler) was an effective distraction, but I did realize that there could be a time in the near future that I regret them learning words like more, mama, and especially no (Tyler is definitely getting the hang of the meaning of that one). It is getting expensive to feed these little munchkins and I definitely think we need to try to get a wholesale club membership, but I am SO glad that they are still eating well and yes, I am happy that they want "more" fruit!

No comments: