The kids are three days into their new school. Not counting drop-off I think it is going well. Drop-off is miserable! It got worse today - with Katie starting to poke her lip out and give me the sad look just when we turned into the parking lot. We usually make it into the front door before they both start wailing, refusing to move, and kicking and screaming when I try to pick them both up, open the other two doors and carry them into the room. I am hoping they will get over this soon but everyone keeps telling me that it is developmentally appropriate and that it is completely normal. That doesn't make it any easier to deal with, but at least I know that my two aren't the only ones that make us all a spectacle. Each day they give us "report cards" for the kids that tells us how their day went and I have the benefit of working in the building where they are so I and co-workers get to peak in on them. Throughout each day when I have seen them (they didn't see me thank goodness) they are playing and content, and when others have commented to me they say they seem happy and like they are completely comfortable. That is reassuring!
The teacher has noted Tyler's disposition as happy and content every day and she told me on Tuesday that she was just smitten with him because he has the best personality and is completely sweet and charming (I agree, of course). Katie was reported to be irritable and fussy the first two days, but today got a checkmark on happy and content too! Katie did not nap at all the first two days but reportedly laid quietly, and today took a nap after coaxing. Tyler, shockingly, apparently went to nap independently and took a nap today and Monday and on Tuesday needed help to calm down but did take a nap. In small group they both listened and obeyed all three days - I think the teachers may be fudging on that one a bit. They aren't eating great but that might be an adjustment to eating more like big kids - they drink out of milk cartons, sit at a table with all the other kids, have plates and are encouraged to use utensils. Big change from daycare where they sat in highchairs and were fed and given sippy cups! Today Katie, well actually they call her Mary (since that is the name on her enrollment, social security card, birth certificate, etc) and I can't get them to stop, got a report of having a great day and was loving playing with play dough. I got three little art projects already too - on Tuesday the letter of the day was "a" and they colored an apple and an airplane. Today Tyler got to use glue to make a Boat (for "B") out of construction paper. So cute, of course Tyler wanted to carry it in and promptly "boke it," which wasn't surprising since he was trying to disassemble it immediately. So, all in all I think their experience has been great. I have got to find a way to get them calmer at drop-off - I think part of it too is that they are used to Lance dropping them off but that doesn't make sense since it is so far away and where I work, and I really need to convince them to call Katie by the only name she knows!
No comments:
Post a Comment