Friday, October 8, 2010

I'm So Proud

Well, "proud" is probably an exaggeration but that is surely what I was telling Tyler yesterday - along with lots of good job, and hooray! Tyler "pee peed on potty" all day yesterday at school. He isn't to the point of telling when he has to go, making it through the night, or even sitting on our scary full-size toilets, but it is a step in the right direction. I swore I would never be one of those parents who talked about my kid's bathroom exploits - but potty training is pretty darn exciting. I can't wait to be done with diapers, and even though I know that is probably a year or so away, I enjoy the baby steps that get us there!

They are starting to really enjoy school (and I will really love it if they can get them even halway to toilet trained). They don't put up much of a fuss at all when I drop them off these days, and do fight royally when I try to get them in the car to go home, which despite how frustrating it is I take as a good sign. They are singing songs and dancing and saying ABC's and 1,2,3's at bedtime now, and I am continually amazed at the new words, and motions that they know (I have to get it on video because it is one of the absolute cutest things I have ever seen to watch the two of them do the motions to Itsy Bitsy Spider and Twinkle Little Star).

I know I complain about discipline issues and toddler frustrations, but for the most part I am really enjoying this age. They are communicating so well, and starting to show a sense of humor and understanding of emotion. You can virtually see their minds working as they figure things out, look for another book to read to avoid bedtime, or watch us to see if there is an opportunity to get away with something. When I haven't lost all patience for the day, Lance and I often have to try to hide our smiles when they do those things because it really is fun to see their mischevious personalities start to develop. I think, though, that my absolute favorite thing about this age is their complete lack of self-consciousness. It is so fun to watch a little one dance or jump, or hear a song or "conversation," that is totally uninhibited. They have no cares about what other people think and the littlest things delight and amuse them. I hope we can teach them to hold onto some of that, because it is a great way to live life!

No comments: