Thursday, October 14, 2010

Nap Struggles

It is very obvious these days when the kids take a nap and when they don't. Katie, in particular, fights them these days. They both do, really. So much that I have tried separating them at naptime, tried sitting in there with them (like their teachers) and making them lay down and be quiet, and much more. Unfortunately, nothing has worked so far - even at school on some days - other than completely wearing them out. The Music and Molasses festival is this weekend, Gentry Farms is still open, we still need to get pumpkins and might do it at Gentry Farms, and there are some carnival type events so there should be ample opportunity this weekend to entertain them enough so they need a nap. I wonder if I can use non-napping, grumpy toddlers as an excuse to get out of jury duty. I really don't know how I am going to do it (summoned in November) - work is crazy busy right now and I literally don't think I have time to take off work for one day, much less if I have to do the three or more days they say is possible. I can hardly catch my breath now and foresee that it is only going to get worse and that time out of the office will be stressful and a true hardship. Not to mention there is a lot coming up including my brother-in-laws wedding, Halloween, and numerous important deadlines. Maybe I can show them these pictures to convince them that there is already enough on our plates!

This is Katie on a day that she didn't nap at school. She gets grumpy and whines easier, but she really has always been one that resists sleep, although she is luckily so far a good night sleeper. Odd that she is my daughter - I LOVE sleep!
Tyler on non-napping days isn't as grumpy, but he gets very obstinate and seems to attract trouble - like here when he wouldn't leave the bathroom and would have a meltdown when his (my) cute pink slippers came off. This was one of the luckily rare days that neither one napped!

By the way - I am trying a new strategy with Tyler's hair. I know it looks pretty crazy right now, but I am going to let it grow a bit and see if it will lay down better if it is a little longer. So far, I think it is somewhat working - or I may just be convincing myself of that to avoid a haircut session :)!

No comments: