Thursday, August 4, 2011

Change is Hard!

Well, today is day two of the kids being in their new classrooms. They did very well Monday and Tuesday when they spent a half day in the new room and the other half back together in their old room. Yesterday was the first day that I dropped them off in separate rooms and there were many heartbreaking moments. It all started when Katie asked Tyler if he was going to miss her and he teared up and said that he didn't want to miss her - trying to say that he didn't want her to go :(. Then when we actually got into the room I decided to take Tyler first and then Katie because we were pushing 8:30 when they stop serving breakfast and I know that Tyler LOVES his second breakfast. Well, the two of them held hands walking into class (and today too) and then Tyler gave Katie a hug before he started crying and had to be handed off unhappy to his teacher. Katie did a little better, but was still pouty and crying. The good news is that I looked in on them in their classrooms and on the playground today and yesterday and they seemed to be having a great time - Tyler was playing with puzzles, Katie was on her new favorite activity (the computer), and then they got to play together on the playground.

Today was a little tougher at drop-off. The whole way to school Tyler kept telling me he didn't want to go to the new classroom, and Katie was talking like a baby and pretending like she was crying and when I asked her why she said because she needed to go to the "baby" classroom - her old classroom. They were both crying and clinging when I dropped them off, but were over it before I even got my office door unlocked! It will probably be tough for a little while because it is just stressful to completely change the routine, and teachers, and friends, and things you do each day in the classroom, but they have both gotten good reports on participating in group time and playing with others in the classroom so hopefully the initial drop-off fears will wane some once they get comfortable and make some new friends!

They both seem to be acting out a bit in reaction to the changes. Katie has started hitting and trying to bite (we are appalled) and we have have gotten very firm on time-outs and our conversations about why that isn't appropriate and she seems to be doing better - but she also was only really doing it with me and Lance and her teachers in her old classroom as if she was mad at us, or trying to control a situation that she isn't really sure of, or just acting out with people she is comfortable with when she can finally let down her guard from being on good behavior with new folks. Tyler had a monstrous melt-down when I picked him up yesterday. He threw himself on the floor, was screaming and wailing, couldn't be picked up or calmed down, and had an audience (so embarrassing). When I finally got him to calm down and tell me what was wrong he didn't really know. I think it was just the culmination of a long day where new teachers didn't really understand what he was saying all the time, plus him dealing with change (that he doesn't really like), and trying to be on good behavior and he just got frustrated and let it out! I am hoping that they settle in and start to enjoy the new setting - I know that Katie will like it if she gives it a chance because in addition to the computer time, the playground also has swings (her old one didn't) and they allow her a book at rest time instead of making her nap. Tyler's class will soon start working on identifying letters and they do a lot of projects and learning focused activities which I think he will enjoy, too!

Tonight I am going to a trunk show for Kelly's Kids clothes - it seems like this year is flying by. Not only is school starting, but I am already being sold on Christmas pajamas! We still have our beach trip and the kid's birthday, though, to remind us that summer isn't quite over yet!

No comments: