Friday, December 2, 2011

Decision Maker For Hire

I have had the hardest time making decisions lately (let's be honest - I am never good at it but it has just gotten worse)! I think it is because I have been uber stressed with lots of work responsibilities and my little brain it just at capacity thinking about things that have to be done rather than decisions that I need to make! My car is acting up (again) - the battery light keeps coming on and power steering goes out - and despite having it looked at and tested nobody can figure out what is wrong. My decision there boils down to do we just hope that it will be alright since it seems to recover when you turn the car off and just pray that it doesn't happen while driving on the interstate, or do we urge someone to find something wrong to fix. Or, I guess the other option is do we hold onto it until it is paid off in a year and see if we can drive it into the ground with hopefully minimal repair costs, or cut our losses (and probably expenses considering the history of this thing) and find a way to get something different which would entail somehow paying off the loan on this one and qualifying for something else with equally as low payments.

My hired (for cheap) decision maker would also help me with parenting issues. The school thing is still out there and if I want them in PK next Fall I have to decide by December 31st. Plus, we just got a letter from Katie's dance class that wants $130 for her recital and costume fee and I can't decide if we are going to do that because it doesn't really make sense if we don't sign her up for classes the next session since the recital isn't until May. Katie loves dance, but I don't think she would notice if we didn't do it and it is pretty expensive considering that she keeps talking about wanting to go to swimming classes, play soccer, etc., too. I could get her that for Christmas, but then she wouldn't have as many tangible things under the tree so it is another one I just go back and forth on. In the face of hearing the stories of the families I work with and others struggling, I know that we are lucky to have these dilemmas - some people (some that the kids go to school with) don't have cars at all, can't even consider dance classes or soccer teams, and would love to get just one thing for Christmas. Nevertheless, it is just hitting me that you think the expensive time of having kids is over when they are out of diapers, not drinking formula, and not in child care but I am fast learning that those expenses just get replaced with even bigger ones!

No comments: