My Birthday was last weekend and we had a great time. So-So and Ray Ray watched the kids for us Friday night (another big thank you) while we went to a great dinner at Park Cafe and then to our old hang-out - Corner Pub - to watch the first Vandy game of the SEC Championship Tournament. Vandy won and we enjoyed hanging out and being care and kid free for the evening! The weather was and is beautiful so we did lots of playing outside and running around on Saturday and then Sunday (my actual birthday) we went to breakfast and then watched Vandy beat Kentucky in the championship game! The kids came running into my room Sunday morning and were so excited that it was my birthday and sang and were just giddy. I didn't figure out till later that the reason for the excitement was because they thought we were definitely having a cake, and that there was a good likelihood that my "party" was at Monkey Joe's too. They were sad when they finally understood that there wasn't a party, but they did really like the key lime pie that served as my birthday cake!
Tyler got his haircut on Saturday and was just great as usual (the hair stylists are still astounded at how well he sits still - they don't know it is because he really, really likes lollipops). We haven't gotten Katie's cut but I think it is time for at least a trim and maybe some bangs because she just won't let me do anything with it. With my hair, my motto is usually that it is just hair and it will grow back, but I am not sure that is the case with Katie :)! She definitely got Lance's thickness (or lack of) and texture as well as color.
We have a busy weekend ahead. Vandy plays today in the NCAA tournament and hopefully this weekend.
This was their game day gear for school today!
We also have a birthday party on Saturday at Monkey Joe's (which should make the kids happy). My tennis season is starting with practice that I am probably not going to make it to. I want to try to get out to see the dinosaurs who make their appearance at the zoo this weekend. And I am sure there are St. Patrick's Day festivities that will be fun, although Lance is pretty much off kid duty this weekend I am sure because of work and March Madness, so we will have to see what I can manage with this feisty, unpredictable duo!
For my birthday I got a new Kindle Fire, which I absolutely love, but not as much as the kids!
There are some really great apps for them to play with on this kindle and even though I am protective of the device and considered making it kid off limits, I love that they really enjoy playing the matching games, and letter recognition activities, and puzzles, and learning videos. It amazes me that, for them, the touch screen is so intuitive. The computers in their classrooms are touch, and they are able to easily navigate the kindle and seem to know what to push and when to get it to do what they want without me even giving direction. They will have to be comfortable with technology when they are in school, so I do let them play with it on occasion (when I am not hogging it playing Words with Friends).
I got a new app for them last night and read the reviews that said it was great for preschoolers and that it would entertain them for hours while they worked to get stickers. Well, it is entertaining and they love it, but within the first five minutes Tyler had already earned a sticker and in the 30 minutes they played it (sharing so well too) they probably had 25 stickers - so I don't know if it will be a long-term thrill like I hoped - but it is a great game. I watched them play for a while and am so impressed with all that they know! It asked them to count objects, to pick the object that started with certain letters, to remember what object was on overturned cards, to put together puzzles, to pick the object that was the biggest, or different - and they got all of it correct in record time.
Hopefully the learning games will serve Tyler well in his upcoming test! We finally decided to try to enroll Tyler in the Metro PK class that is where they currently attend. Only one of them can be in the class because Metro does not allow twins in the same classroom. So, the first decision was which one to enroll. We chose Tyler because of the teacher's personalities and feel like he will do better in the more structured, academic environment and Katie will probably thrive with the other teacher who is very creative, and compassionate and really works to make learning fun (I sought the advice of their current teachers, literacy coach, etc and all said to do it this way). If Tyler doesn't get in to the PK class he will be in the other class with Katie and that will be just fine. If he is enrolled in the PK class (we don't qualify because of income, but if there are spots available there are other ways to earn a seat), he will have to start school at 8:00 (so an earlier day for all of us), and he will have to wear a uniform! When I remembered about the uniform I almost re-thought who I was trying to enroll since it would be great to take away the getting dressed dilemma for Katie each day :)!
No comments:
Post a Comment