Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Gardening Fun

We have still been enjoying beautiful weather and took advantage this weekend! Saturday we were indoors for a birthday party, but on Sunday we went to a yummy breakfast at Monell's (can't stay away now that we have rediscovered it) and then to Home Depot. We got some mulch, and I got some gerbera daisies to put in pots even though I know they won't last - but they will make me happy just to see them when I drive up for at least a little while! The kids "helped" us weed the front beds, and plant the pots and spread the mulch. Katie really enjoyed it and especially liked that she got to plant the pink flowers she picked out! Tyler much preferred playing in the tent I had set up in the yard to help them escape the sun and then once he moved all of his cars outside and then back in he was ready to stay inside. We will have to find some way to get him to enjoy being outside more - although I don't really blame him for preferring to be inside over weeding! He is definitely his father's son - Lance did the bulk of the heavy lifting for the gardening project and was certainly working hard - but neither Tyler or Lance particularly likes bugs, dirt, or getting messy! I don't mind a little dirt, and Katie seemed to actually enjoy digging and getting dirty, but I will admit that I am a freak about bees, hornets and spiders (all that seem to be mighty prevalent when gardening in TN) so I can't make fun of him too much!

We have another crazy weekend ahead, but it should be fun for the kids even if I am a little harried when it is all said and done! We have a birthday party Friday night and another on Sunday afternoon. They are absolutely wild at these birthday shindigs. I wonder if it could be the cake, juice, ice cream, other little children, and bouncy houses that bring out the sillies - ha! Last Saturday was a bit challenging trying to keep up with them on my own. I guess I have gotten used to Lance helping me and us being man-on-man, because this time, on my own, I spent the majority of the time asking one of the kids where the other was and looking frantic I am sure since Lance had to work and wasn't able to help me manage the Monkey Joe's chaos.

I also have my first tennis match of the season on Sunday (I might have to enlist the kids as ball boy and girl - kidding, or at least my team hopes so), the dinosaurs are still calling our name from the zoo, there is a fun fundraiser for Book 'Em happening at Hillwood with the Easter bunny and an Easter egg hunt, and Katie has dance class for a couple more months. We let Katie try on her recital costume to make sure it fit and then told her she couldn't wear it until the recital, although picture day is in April and she will get to wear it then. The recital is May 19th, and the costume will be out of sight, out of mind until then, but for little Bug it is perfect - pink, sparkly, big tutu, bows - what more could a 3 and 1/2 year old girly girl want!

No comments: