Drop-off this morning was not as bad as I anticipated. There were NO tears, or whining - of course that may be because I promised a special treat at the end of the day, but I'll take it - and Tyler was talking up a storm with another little boy before I even left and had no time to tell me bye! That's a good thing - I want them to be comfortable there and make new friends. Katie was being a little shy and started telling us she didn't want to go as we were walking in, but she did so well not having a breakdown and visibly trying to be such a big girl. She was letting Tyler be the leader today while she got used to it all and that is bound to be good for him too since they haven't been in the same class for a while and Katie will certainly try to be the boss as time goes on. Tyler has a tendency to be a loner and kind of stand-offish so it was really great to see him immediately take to the teacher that is there in the mornings, and already checking out the fish with some of the other kids in the class.
The Director called me late morning to give me an update on how they were settling in and was all praise. She said they were doing fantastic, being very friendly and acting like they owned the place. She said the teachers asked where she found them and if she could enroll more like them, and even joked that they wanted to clone them. That might be because Tyler is apparently being a bit conniving - a teacher asked him if he wanted to play with something that he was eyeing and he told her that yes, he did but he had to put away what he was playing with first. They thought that was great - and I sure would too if he would do that at home! When at our house he always tells me that he is not done playing with whatever it is and that he needs what he is getting out to go with whatever is already out. I am anxious to pick them up this afternoon and see what they think - I know it won't continue to be this easy since the novelty is sure to wear off and when I talked to her they hadn't yet come to nap time which is always a challenge - but I already miss knowing what they are up to all day!
This morning I did one of the most stupid things ever! I will not be taking them to school most days (Lance will drop them off and I will pick them up), but I was trying to map out the best route from there to work for when I do need to take them, and ended up cutting over to get on the interstate. Well, I got on going West instead of East (moronic since I have gone both directions there millions of times and should know the difference). The worst of it, though, is that I drove THREE exits before I realized that I was going the wrong way (and only then did I realize it because it went from three lanes to two and I knew that the interstate didn't do that on my way to work). I guess I had a lot on my mind - had some questions about things at school that came up at drop-off that I was going to call about once I got in the office - and just wondering how they were settling in and if they would notice that their day is going to be longer (since they have to be there by 8:30 and I can't pick them up until after 5:00). So, needless to say my distracted driving meant I was late to work and still don't know what kind of time it adds to go that way instead of the most direct way from our house! I will get a better idea this afternoon when I pick them up - when I actually do need to go West :).
No comments:
Post a Comment