Friday, August 23, 2013

School Adjustment

The kids have been absolutely exhausted after school and Tyler has been having some MAJOR meltdowns over the tiniest things.  I am chalking it up to being tired after a full-day and the stress of getting used to a new classroom environment.  Fingers crossed that I am right and we aren't entering a stage of this being a regular occurrence!  Tyler's teacher just announced today that she will be having a baby in April and will not return to the class after Spring Break.  Hopefully we'll be far enough along in the year for that not to throw him for a loop!  They seem to be doing OK in school - Katie's teacher says you would never be able to tell that she is not even 5 yet.  Tyler hasn't moved up on the behavior chart like we would hope, but he hasn't moved down either so that's a plus.  He is never going to be the most well-behaved, it just isn't in his nature, but his sister sure does like to be the teacher's helper and apparently tries to be a little angel during class.  They both have quite a few "repeaters" in their class and they know the drill more than K&T do, but I think they will figure it out soon, or at least I hope!

Lance is having is guy's trip this weekend so it's just me and the kids.  I am playing tennis in the morning (if the rain will ever go away), and we plan to go to the pool for one of the last times this summer tomorrow afternoon - again if it will stop raining!!!  We finally decided to just go to Chuck E. Cheese (their top choice) with a couple of friends (literally) and any family that can make it next Sunday for their birthday.  They will think it is fun, and we will save some money just not inviting any "groups" that would lead to lots more people than we can handle - i.e. - entire kindergarten class, preschool friends, etc.  Most people can't make it since it is Labor Day weekend, but the kids are all about cake, and getting to play arcade games, and just getting to say they are 5,  anyway so it should all work out!  I have started an amazon list to give us some ideas of things the kids might like for their birthday, but they are kind of in a difficult stage on that front, too!  A lot of stuff seems too babyish, but most things designated for their age are not things I want to get into quite yet - electronics, video games, etc.  They are pretty easy, though and still love pretend, and art, and Katie is definitely in the Barbie stage so they should be pretty pleased with whatever we come up with! 

I am still lamenting missing out on aftercare, so I am already trying to plan for Fall Break AND have realized that I am almost too late again.  I really need to start planning months and months in advance (and keep that in mind for summer).  We are going to try to go to the beach one of the weeks of the two-week Fall Break (we figure we will have to spend money either way and might as well all have fun instead of just the kids).  The other week I think I am going to sign them up for a week long Fall Break camp at Adventure Science Center.  It is $500 for two kids and that is the cheapest I have found!!!  I am sure when I see what the bill is for care throughout the summer (not to mention the two weeks in the Spring) I will freak out again (since $500 a week will be on the low end per week and there are 8 weeks of summer - although I am hoping they will get to spend time with my family again for a week or two) - but I guess it is what it is and is still less than the $17,000 we were spending for childcare before school started.  We will just have to try to budget and plan for an expensive summer.  That means we are delaying the new beds, for now, and Lance and I are both going to drive around with our check engine lights on for as long as we can. Although his tags expire in a week so we will sooner than later have to get his fixed to pass emissions - but I've had to agree with him that we have to try to get more time out of his rather than get something new  :(.  I can still look, though, and am currently obsessed with the new Ford Explorer so maybe this will give me time to realize that isn't the best choice  :)!

The girl who will watch the kids twice a week started today and the kids seem to really like her!  It will be great to have at least two days that can be full work days and days for afternoon meetings, if necessary.  We have had a lot of adjustment, too, since school started.  Having to leave work early most days, dealing with cranky kids, worrying that they aren't eating lunch since they never seem to remember what they ate, concern over how prepared they are in relation to the other kids and if we made the right decision, coercing them to do homework, holding them off to eat dinner when they seem to be starving the minute they walk in the door - so, it will be good to have a little help on a weekly basis.  Like today, I was able to swing by the grocery store on the way home at the normal time that my day is supposed to end, and didn't have to wrangle the two of them, so that makes it worth it!  Fingers crossed for sunshine this weekend, or I may just have to call her and see if she can do weekends too (kidding, sorta)! 

 

No comments: