As I am sure most of you have heard - Nashville, and our area of town, has endured some major flooding over the last couple of days. Thankfully, the only thing that our family is having to deal with is a lack of electricity. There are so many that we know whose homes and vehicles are destroyed and the devastation is just inconceivable. We were trapped in Bellevue with no exit roads on Sunday and Monday and as we walked and drove around where we could it was heartbreaking to see neighborhoods and roads completely underwater where we know that friends no longer have homes to go back to. We had no water damage whatsoever and feel so grateful for that - when I find myself upset that we don't have power, that we have to replace the contents of our fridge/freezer, etc. I am ashamed for even worrying about those things because it is just so insignificant when compared to what our friends and neighbors are going through. I am back at work today, the kids stayed at So-So and Grandpa's house last night once an exit road opened up and we were able to make it there, and it is just surreal to be surrounded by everything operating business as usual when just yesterday our whole community was gathered in the Publix parking lot divvying up ice and foods that didn't have to be heated, charging cell phones thanks to their generator and just standing shell-shocked watching the water finally receding.
Speaking of the Publix parking lot - these were some pictures taken just after the storm.
This is the Publix right down from our house - the car is at the bottom of the parking lot beside an access road and the Publix sign is on the road underneath all the water! This is Hwy. 100 and those lights are at Temple Road. This was one of our exit options that is still impassable, but getting better!


This is Old Harding Pike - another way to exit usually. We went out on Monday to see what was going on and Lance said these pictures actually showed that it had receded quite a bit (he saw it Sunday). 


And I know that I said that I wouldn't complain about the power - but just as an FYI to family who may be trying to get in touch. We don't anticipate having power for a while - a transformer blew in our neighborhood and when that happens it usually takes a day or so without a natural disaster. We are not on the main grid and are low priority, especially this week when it seems like downtown is getting hit hard by the overflowing Cumberland. I am at work though and it feels great to be back in the land of communication!
1 comment:
It's devastating to have your house flooded, so I'm glad to hear that your family escaped that tragedy. We're keeping your family, friends and neighbors in our prayers.
Post a Comment