Monday, June 28, 2010

ABCD...

Just in the last couple of days it seems the kids have had an even bigger language explosion. They are both saying phrases and sentences - some of them hilarious like "Tylie - sit down" - or "Tylie on now" (to encourage him to put his shoes on so we can leave). Or Tyler saying "Flop on Marley" when he wanted to put the flip flop on Marley or "Kahtee take bath" when we were walking up the stairs and she was ahead of him yelling excitedly about bathtime. They are doing so, so good and now is definitely the time to watch what we say - Tyler is a little parrot!

Katie is still being a little obstinate - at the zoo on Sunday she decided she only wanted to be held and only by me (and carrying 25 pounds in 95 degree weather just doesn't cut it) and proceeded to scream, yell and sit down in protest of not getting her way. I admit that I gave in and finally just carried her even though I know I shouldn't let her have her way, but the alternative was an embarrassing meltdown in the heat and in front of everyone. I will have to get better at that, or hopefully she will just go back to actually wanting to walk everywhere and not caring at all where I am! The good news is that we did manage to escape swim lessons without having to carry out either child screaming and they did fabulous! Tyler has really gotten a little more comfortable and can really get up the ladder well. They both played in the baby pool in the backyard on Sunday afternoon and amazed me at how fearless they are becoming. Katie was laying completely down (she kept saying she was floating but her back was on the ground so not really) and saying hair wet. Tyler was climbing in and out and when he climbed in he didn't care that he got water in his face and hair (he is usually not a fan of that). They were both laying on their bellies and kicking their legs and having a ball - I was beginning to doubt if they would ever learn to swim but now it looks like they may just get the hang of it sooner than I think!

Now for "deep" thoughts. As you know, these are my only kids so my concerns may be the same as parents across the board, but right now I am just worried about my two very different little ones and how I should parent them. I want to give them both what they need, but right now that seems so hard because they need such different things. Tyler is just much more emotionally sensitive and needs reassurance and praise and thrives on positive reinforcement. He was sitting yesterday reading our before bedtime book (Brown Bear - love it) to himself and knew every animal, but when asked he always looks to Katie to answer because she is much more forward and insistent. He will answer when you give him lots of positive feedback, but I have no idea how much he actually knows because he keeps so much to himself already. Katie, on the otherhand, could care less really if you clap and praise her but she seems to crave physical attention more and always wants to be near you, holding your hand, being the center of attention which takes away from opportunities to give Tyler the attention he needs. All in all I think we do a good job of making sure they are individually loved and noticed, but it definitely is something that we will have to be conscious of. I think that is another reason this daycare decision is so hard. I truly think Katie will be fine without social interaction with lots of kids and without a "teacher"' per se, but I think Tyler does better having a wider net of people who bolster his confidence and recognize his strengths. Gosh, parenting is a lot tougher than I ever imagined! I think the caretaking in the first year is difficult, of course, but now is when there are so many decisions to make about discipline and instilling self-confidence, and not being a helicopter parent, but not being too hands-off, etc., etc. Getting to watch these two grow and learn is amazing though and hopefully if we just love them, and appreciate them, and teach them as much as we can, we won't mess them up too bad!

No comments: