An online "journal" that keeps track of the day to day fun and adventure involved with raising boy/girl twins, and chronicles the milestones, and picture memories of Katie and Tyler.
Monday, May 23, 2011
Big Kid Beds
Well, we finally had to do it (ok, ok - I decided to do it when I knew Lance wasn't going to be home because I knew he was resistant) - we moved the kids to "big" beds, aka toddler beds. Lance is right, and I knew he would be, it is a big pain, but the kids started jumping out and can open doors which led to them searching us out in the mornings, and I started worrying that they were going to get hurt in the leap from their beds in an attempt to come see us in our "big bed." They were initially very excited about having a big bed of their own, but now the realization that they have control is even better. I converted them on Friday (and now really wish I had opted to buy toddler beds so we would have the crib option if necessary). So we have had three nights of them sleeping in them and they did pretty good at bedtime (knock on wood 100 times), horrible at naptime, and really bad in the mornings. They have been staying in after a couple of escape attempts at night which is fabulous. "Naptime" has been consumed with them running around the room gathering clothes and anything else they can find (and a lot of things that we didn't think they could reach or get to and now know they can) and putting them on their beds, jumping from the beds to the floor, slamming the door repeatedly, being put back in 1,000 times with admonishments and time-outs to no avail, and eventually with me sitting in there watching them not sleep. I wouldn't really mind the no naps if they were even remotely ready for that and weren't absolutely exhausted meaning that they are irritable and crabby all afternoon and nobody has any fun - so we are going to continue to attempt naps even though they seem like a true lost cause at this point. The real issue is "morning." This morning at about 4:15 AM I heard the door open and jumped out of bed to find them walking down the hall. I walked them back in their room and was telling them to get back in bed before I realized that Tyler was naked from the waist down. He wanted to put on shorts so he got a new pull-up, grabbed some shorts out of his top drawer and was finally back in bed (while I was pretty amazed at how independent he is becoming). I explained to them that it was still night time, and had them look that it was dark outside (and had to assure them that it was dark downstairs too where they wanted to play). They got back in their beds but didn't go back to sleep and at about 6:00 AM they had managed to turn the light on, were laughing and giggling and running around - oh no! I definitely am upset that I did not buy the tot clock when I first heard how much it helped because they are not in stock right now, but I have found a similar clock on Amazon that is kind of expensive but everyone says works. I may have to pull the trigger and purchase it soon because I think K&T could be convinced at this point to stay in bed until the light turns green, but too much more freedom and we may have to call 5:00 AM our new wake-up time which I really, really don't want. I am already so tired, and it is only mid-morning - we have got to figure out some way to have a
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment