We have had some really fun times lately, but there have also been some tough minutes, hours and days that have made me question all that I have "learned" to-date about discipline and parenting. Last Thursday night was one of the good days! We went to Cheekwood Family night (sans Lance) and had a really great time looking at the trains, having a picnic by the pond, and then watching Conductor Jack. The kids had soooo much fun dancing and singing - Katie was right up front and keeping up with all of the older kids. Tyler stayed off to the side but was dancing and stomping along, too and it was really fun to watch them enjoy it so much. They keep talking about going back to "Jackwood" and we probably will go again since it is every Thursday night in the summer, but it won't always be Jack!
The weekend was a bit tougher. Lance was working a golf tournament, Katie was sick and having some tummy upset, and Tyler seemed to be getting frustrated and having complete meltdowns at the drop of a hat (they literally want to do everything themselves these days and get so upset when they can't quite figure it out). We played outside early morning and late afternoon and for the most part things were ok then, but it was really hot and I didn't want them out in the heat of the day so I dealt with tantrums and whining during what was supposed to be "rest time." That is where I am at a complete loss. Nothing I do will make them stay in bed, stay on their "mat" on the floor, stay in the pack and play and when I try to do what everyone suggests which is calmy take them (Katie, since for the most part Tyler will listen) back to the bed with no talking and no emotion, all I get is scratched, hit, bit and an hour or more of exercise that I don't really want in the form of picking up a wailing, thrashing child repeatedly! I have said it many times, but I would be ok if they were ready for no naps but they are definitely not. No naps = even worse behavior and miserable bedtimes because they are just so exhausted, and the whining, screaming, meltdowns seem to be inevitable when they don't at least rest. I didn't want to deal with a repeat of the day's more upsetting events on Sunday so we loaded up and were on a trip to Target (to get juice for Katie's stomach issues and a special treat water table that I knew they would enjoy outside). Well, it was a disaster. I walked through Target completely embarrassed as my two children hit each other and me while screaming at the top of their lungs. I was literally at the end of my rope and called the grandparents that live in town to see if they could watch them while I made a return trip. Thankfully, they agreed (so, so grateful since I desperately needed a break even though it was only mid-morning) and I ended up getting the table to surprise them later if they were good. We got home and an attempt at watching a show quietly ended again in meltdowns and when Tyler's sandwich broke his meltdown was so severe that I have been googling autism and other disorder symptoms ever since, but by the afternoon they were being sweet and funny so I set up the table and we played outside in the baby pool, the table (Tyler loved it so much that it may rival trains as one of his favorite things ever), and with the waterhose.
Tomorrow we leave for a trip to see their other grandparents (and my annual beach girls trips) and I find myself in the same frame of mind that I think I was in last year. I know they will have a good time, we will enjoy part of the time in the car because they are really entertaining most of the time, and I know I am desperately looking forward to a little R&R with the girls, but I really wish I had thought about these behaviour issues a little in advance and gotten a dvd player as a distraction technique because I am absolutely dreading the car ride there and even more so back when it is a straight shot with no stopover. As I have learned, if we don't have it (in this case the dvd player) we will probably need it, but if we do things might not be so bad. So, if the fear of insanity (me) overwhelms me I may get Lance to watch them tonight (I've learned my lesson) and make the trek to Target to purchase one - just in case!
No comments:
Post a Comment