Thursday, June 2, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend!

We had a great Memorial Day long weekend even if the kids are still acting like little devils (probably because they have been go, go, go with no nap most days). Saturday we went to a Birthday party (which the kids love - particularly Tyler because he is obsessed with ice cream) and then onto Ray Ray and So-So's for a spend the night party. Lance and I went to see Bridesmaids (movie) and it was good to laugh and enjoy a movie at night time with adults! Sunday we went to feed the ducks at Bowie Park and hiked around the lake. We had so much fun and the kids did great. We followed it up by a trip to Publix (to buy ice cream) and home for naps (ha). They are still doing ok at bedtime (although Katie thinks it is hilarious to announce "I get out" and run around the room for about 30 minutes every night), and are staying in their room after waking at about 6:30 in the morning until we come get them after about 15 minutes or when someone starts whining or gets hurt from jumping on the bed shenanigans. Naptime is an absolute disaster, though. They will not stay in bed no matter what we do and aren't really buying the whole you don't have to sleep but you do have to lay here and read a book thing! They finally did nap on Sunday - Monday we just decided to skip even the effort. After nap on Sunday we played outside and Lance grilled some chicken for them to have before their ice cream (which they LOVED). Monday was finally our chance to try out the train at the zoo (which the adults thought was pretty lame but the kids are still talking about so I guess it did its job). We came back and had more fun outside and more grilling - the kids were exhausted, but it was a good weekend. It makes me want to go on vacation - and then I am reminded what a stage they are in and think twice about the wisdom of that! They aren't doing anything awful - just being toddlers and two of them at once being defiant and mischevious is a bit of a challenge! Lance asked me the other day if they were the worst kids in the world (on a particularly rough morning when I was playing tennis and he was alone) and we agreed that if it was just one of them they are actually pretty good - but put them together and yes, they combine to create one pretty rotten (but hilariously funny, and often sweet) child!



They has so much fun getting to color (chalk) on the fence and the deck. With so much construction in our neighborhood they can't really go to the sidewalks and it washes off easily from wood - although I will probably regret letting them do this since they won't know much difference in walls and fences, chalk and markers!
On Friday I took them to the "bounce party" at the Y only to learn that it had been cancelled. The kids were talking the entire ride home about "jumpy houses" so I told them I would take theirs outside. Lance was not happy (another dead spot in the grass), but the kids were! Lance showed them how to use water guns - it was an hour of "I'm gonna get you" and then them accidentally spraying themselves - it was cute! Katie is definitely like me - a water baby. She was completely content in the "pool" and going down the slide and SO fearless unless a cicada joined her!
Tyler preferred the water hose. He watered ever piece of grass, flower, tree, or leftover chalk that he could find!

No comments: