Monday, May 7, 2012

Weekends are too short!

We had such a fun weekend that Katie slept in until 8:00 this morning!  Of course, she won't do that on a weekend when I could actually enjoy not having my cling-on first thing in the morning, but we let her sleep because she obviously needed it!  Friday night Cousin Liz watched the kids (thanks so, so much Liz) while Lance and I went to a night golf tournament.  The kids had a good time with Liz reading to them, and she even got the blame this morning when we were heading to school when Katie told me "Miss Liz said we didn't have to go to school today."  I wasn't buying it, and of course we had dual meltdowns when we got in their classrooms, but it just shows how much they are catching on to that little trick.  If Tyler wants something he will go to Lance and tell him I said it was ok or vice versa, and they always say that someone who isn't where they are said they could do it - as in Ray Ray said we could go to the zoo today, So So said you would read 5 books, and the other day B-Bob (who they haven't talked to in a while) "said" they could go swimming - the little devious stinkers!

Saturday afternoon we went to a birthday party for the girls of some of our good friends.  They have a park-like swing set, lots of kid-friendly activities, and a special party ice cream truck showed up!  The kids thought it was so much fun, and especially liked the Dora and Sponge Bob ice cream that they got to pick out and order for themselves (sorry about the spot - it was taken with my phone that has been dropped way too many times and needs to be replaced)!



Sunday, was a really fun day too.  We started out with breakfast, went to the Tennessee Arts and Crafts show at Centennial and walked around the Parthenon, fed the ducks, and played games in the grass.  It was really hot, so we decided to pick up a little baby pool for the kids to play with in the afternoon once Lance had to go to work.  They were ecstatic and had so much fun.  For one of the first times ever, I was glad when rain came on a pretty, sunny day because it meant I could convince the kids to get out of the "pool."  They are almost too big for the one we chose, but we got this one because of the slide and it was a big hit!  We don't have a single flat spot in our backyard, but this worked better than any other we've gotten so I say it was a success!

Katie was being a little daredevil jumping into the pool and off the slide, and dancing like crazy.  Tyler was trying to be a bit of a daredevil going down the slide sideways and head first, but he did it quite slowly - couldn't quite get past his innate cautious nature!  


I think we have finally decided on a new school situation for the kids.  There is one close to our house that has openings at the end of June.  Lance and I went and toured it and it seems like it will be a good fit and we both agree that it is way past time to move the kids and we just have to find a way to make it work.   I was content with our decision until I drove Lance's car to tennis Saturday morning and realized that it is not going to last much longer.  Almost 250,000 miles and it definitely drives like it!  Mine creaks, squeaks and sputters and at 150,000 miles I don't think we are going to have the same luck with it as we have with Lance's.  The extra that we will be paying for childcare would cover TWO car payments a month, and we will have to do something car-wise soon for both of us which makes me waver a little bit on moving the kids now and incurring the extra expense.  I desperately don't want to deal again with the overwhelming financial strains and stress that we were just coming out of, but I truly think a new school environment is what is best for the kids and we are lucky that the place they are going has two openings.  We are on the wait list at a couple of other places that only have 1 opening, but I don't know that we can wait until August to see if something comes available.  I also think summer will be a good transition time for the kids, since they love playing outside and water play (part of the new program), and it may be easier for them to get acclimated when there is more opportunity to be active!  I have no doubt, though, that it will be hard.  They are already talking about going to the "back building" here where the older classrooms are and it will definitely be an adjustment to not be with me or where they have been for two years!  I am excited, too, though because I think the kids will eventually love it.  They will get to make friends with some other kids who will be going to the same school as them to hopefully make Kindergarten easier, they will be in the same class as each other (something they have been asking for and that I think will be ok now that they have gained a little independence and confidence separately), and because the new place is smaller and not a non-profit there will be some new activities that are available there that aren't here that I think they will enjoy, too!

I know this is a super long post, but just a quick update on Katie Bug - she has been doing pretty good.  She has, unfortunately, had to visit the principal's office a couple of times but she is staying dressed and is attempting some of the strategies we gave her (she told me she took lots of deep breaths when she was upset).  Tyler is still being quite defiant, and not listening, but the discipline techniques that everyone encourages actually work with him for now!  That is another thing that I think will be good at the new school - they keep them very busy and the general consensus seems to be that Katie acts up most when she is bored.  They don't have as long of a naptime at the new place and they seemed to be pretty active when we toured, so we'll see if that makes a difference once they get over the separation anxiety that we are sure to deal with!

No comments: