Monday, May 21, 2012

Recital and More!

You would think with Katie's first ever dance recital, this weekend would have been all about that - but we had a lot going on and had a lot of fun too!  We did not get any good pictures or video really of the recital - where we were sitting wasn't the best angle.  It was only 30 minutes total with Katie's slot being the first and pretty short , which was probably a good thing!  She did good and looked as cute as can be!  She didn't dance much at rehearsal and found lots of phantom itches that were more captivating.  On Saturday, though, she did do some of the twirls, and followed along with the teacher in parts - but there was still arm scratching - I think it was a nervous thing (I know I would have been nervous and I am not 3)!    I think she had fun, and she really liked being on the big stage and finally getting to wear her costume (even though she still thinks she is going to dance class next weekend and doesn't realize it is over for this year).  She told me she was "so pretty in her princess ballerina costume," and that she was "the best dancer in the whole world," and I had to agree :)! She has started referring to herself in third person, "Katie is going to school today" or "Katie had fun at the park."  I hope the "Allen Iverson" stage doesn't last too long, although I do think it is just another example that confidence bolstering does not have to be at the top of the list where Katie is concerned!

She is the one right beside the teacher.  

Friday night we went to a Vanderbilt baseball game and despite a lightning delay and only making it three innings before another delay was on the horizon (since it was already 8:00 too we decided to head out and not get rained on), we had a great time.  The kids enjoyed it, and thanks to some friends we had great seats (first row on the dugout)!  Saturday after the recital we went to a birthday party for the little girl of some friends.  It was at Gymboree Play and Music and the kids haven't been to a party there since they were little and it was just as much fun this time, for whole different reasons.  They really got into the singing, parades, and parachutes just as much as climbing on the "gym" activities (they loved that when they were younger) - and of course, they loved the cupcakes and pizza!  

We met So-So and Ray-Ray at the zoo on Sunday morning - which is always fun!  Sunday afternoon we just played in the backyard with the baby pool (which I managed to break by being coerced by the kids to go down the "slide" - I told them I was too big and I don't know why I didn't listen to myself :)).  It was quite entertaining to just listen to them interact with each other and when they were playing on their own - they really create elaborate games of pretend when they don't think anyone is paying attention!  They were pretty exhausted after such a busy weekend, and slept a little late today, but Katie came into our room as soon as she woke up to beg to wear her "mermaid" shirt to school.  So-So and Ray-Ray brought back some super cute shirts for them from Florida, and the kids really like them.  



No comments: