Friday, September 27, 2013

Run Fun

Today was the run and dinner at the kid's school and boy did they have a great day.  The run was during the day and they both ran (and walked just a bit) the half mile.  They were giving it their all and were so happy to see me and Lance there to cheer them on that they really sped up when they got in front of us  :)!






This evening we went up to the school for dinner, a silent auction , bouncy houses, cakewalk, balloon making, pony rides - all the old school carnival favorites and we had a great time.  The highlight for Katie was that the pony she got to ride "was a girl because she had pink."



We had fun, but I am glad it is over.  Between the constant reminders to try to raise money for the run in different ways, the soliciting we had to do for the silent auction, and keeping up with where we needed to be for what and when, the fundraiser added an element of stress that I didn't expect from Kindergarten!  I can already tell, too, that it will only get worse as they get older and we get more and more sucked in  :)! 

I accidentally emailed the wrong person on the PTO today and found out that the person who was formerly PTO president moved to the county 5 minutes away when their oldest got to middle school age, overheard someone in our neighborhood saying they would move when their Kindergartener is done with 4th grade, and am closely watching the neighbor's real estate sign who is trying to sell for the same reason in hopes that they sell their house for what they are asking.  All of that made me think that we really should try to sell now while we can still get in to the desired area in our price range (if the market stays good we will definitely be out-priced soon), but it also makes me question why all of the parents that are so involved in their kid's school now (as evidenced by the unbelievable turn-out tonight and the number of parents at the field trip,  and the 100% participation in both kid's classes of parents in PTO) can't just carry it over to the zoned middle school.  I know that by planning to move 4 to 5 years out from when we need to puts me in the same boat as all of the other parents (I  have a guilty, ridiculous obsession with house hunting, though, so that's my excuse), but it also makes me wonder if in that time we could possibly influence change at the middle school nobody wants to go to currently (bad test scores, poor perception of administration).  We have, so far, been so pleased with their school experience, and I guess I just think it is a shame that another community school can't thrive as well!  Either way, it was a really fun day and made me happy to have made the decision to send the kids on to school.  Another class photo was taken today and Katie is literally 5 inches shorter than most of her classmates - but the teacher assures me that she is keeping up and fitting in and I really don't anticipate that big of a growth spurt in the next year, anyway! 

Vandy game tomorrow, Titans on Sunday, but most importantly the last week before our beach getaway!!!  I cannot wait - I don't think I have ever looked forward to vacation more and I don't even care if it is cold or raining, or if the kids whine for the full 8 hours of the trip down - it will just be nice forget about work, have a break from school, and spend some time with Lance and the kiddos.  Everything seems so rushed lately and we haven't had much opportunity to just hang out - so I am eagerly anticipating playing in the sand, reading a book, and cooking fresh seafood from the market our friends say is right near their place where we are staying.  We may work on a few sight words, since we were very slack this week with all of the festivities and no homework, but other than that no agenda - woohoo! 




No comments: