Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sunshine!!!

It's one of those days that makes me wish I still worked at camp. Don't get me wrong, I like my current job, but there is something to be said for being outdoors on a day like today rather than cooped up in a cubicle with not even a window in sight. I didn't really get to work outdoors at my old job, but the drive-in was scenic, windows and opportunities to get outside were abundant, and we were even encouraged to swim in the lake or hike or just walk the grounds. Not that they discourage activity here, but there have been days that I literally had no clue what the weather was like outside. And today, the weather is awesome! So great in fact that I think the kids may get a little outside playtime when we get home. Which makes me realize that soon we will have even more outdoor adventures and I want them to enjoy playing outside so I am trying to be creative in things that they can do out there to make it fun.

That is just a small glimpse into how my brain works (scary, I know), and it gets even worse when I am procrastinating like today (lunch meeting that included a crab cake sandwich and fries which makes me sleepy and not in grant writing mode). Anyway, all of this "thinking" coincided with an email topic in my POTATO (Parents of Twins and Triplets Organization) group about what toys are the biggest hits for toddlers. Things that we have and are looking forward to using more were mentioned a lot - the wagon, ball pits, ride-on toys, those cozy coupe things (which we don't have but I have seen at consignment sales for cheap and may pick up). However, another one that everyone raved about was water and sand tables or sand boxes. Umm, seriously? Am I the only one who doesn't look forward to sand (matted with water) everywhere, to trying to keep sand out of eyes and mouth, and who doesn't want to encourage playing with water outside of a pool (we get enough of that with Marley's dog bowl and them turning on the faucets in the tub). I will probably get into the spirit as we spend more time outisde and will create a sand pit out of another blow-up pool or something, but I still think I would rather deal with the sand debacles only when we go to the beach (which I hope is soon), instead of daily!

The kids are doing good - finally healthy again with the exception of some allergies that I think they are dealing with these days like their dad. I have a new book recommendation that I am going to try called 1-2-3 Magic that is supposed to be great discipline techniques for toddlers, but luckily right now they are in a pretty agreeable stage (I'm sure it will be short-lived). Katie's new favorite thing to say is yeah, with a nod (I know I should nip that in the bud now and make her say yes, or even yes ma'm, but I'm just happy she is communicating). Tyler is Mr. Helpful lately - everytime I arrive at daycare he grabs Katie's shoes and socks and gives them to her and then brings me his to put on (while Katie tries to put hers on herself), he loves to play "clean-up" and put things away (let's hope that lasts for a while), and he has even started trying to feed the baby doll once Katie is done feeding her. That would be one fat baby if she was real! Kind of like their older "sister" Marley who gained 3.5 pounds this year - I guess goldfish and cheerios and cheese and fruit are catching up with her!

No comments: