An online "journal" that keeps track of the day to day fun and adventure involved with raising boy/girl twins, and chronicles the milestones, and picture memories of Katie and Tyler.
Thursday, September 9, 2010
Hola, Como Estas?
I don't know how to write in Spanish (with the accents on the correct letters), but the kids are learning to speak it! This morning on the way into school/work Katie was saying Hola repeatedly and then began to say Hola, Como Estas. I haven't taught her that and I haven't heard Dora asking how are you lately :). They must be working on it at school. I started singing numbers in Spanish and worked on Muy Bien as the answer to Como Estas and some of the Spanish numbers seemed to be familiar to them. I think it is fabulous that they are getting a little exposure to Spanish now when they are such sponges and think it is wonderful that they think it is fun to learn new words and languages. They are really learning so much - Tyler can sing almost all of Twinkle, Twinkle Little star, they are putting so many more words together and really speaking clear and long (for toddlers) sentences, and amaze us every day with a question or comment or pointing something out that we had no idea that they learned. I guess it isn't always great, though. This morning Katie looked right at me and said Shellie go to work and Tyler followed it up with Lance go to work. It is usually mama work and dada work but I guess they have made the connection that we have two names! It is too fun listening to them make all of these connections - like last night when I told Tyler he could take his pillow downstairs in the morning (because he wanted to do it at bedtime) and this morning he looked right at us and said, very sincerely, take pillow downstairs. I am really pleased with what they seem to be learning at school. There is an adjustment, for sure, but having the structured time to read and work on crafts, and have lessons about letters, numbers, words, etc. is fun for them and I think really beneficial for them too. The better their vocabularies and understanding of how to follow rules and listen, they less frustrated they are and we are which is always a good thing! Each day they have a different letter and word that they work on and the months are themed (this one is all about me) and I can tell that it is really working. Like when it was "A" day - I would have been happy with A is for Airplane but they learned that the airplane is up in the sky, drew a picture of an airplane, made airplanes to hang from the ceiling, read a book with airplanes in it, etc. I can already see that this makes a huge difference in them actually understanding what a word means, how to use it, and how it connects with other words they know - so good! They play hard at school too (and come home filthy) and that has been our saving grace on drop-offs which are still a challenge, because they are excited to play outside (I hope the weather stays nice for a while). Little Bug has learned to give me a hug and say bye mama but she still whimpers and cries a little even though she is trying to be so brave. Tyler clings and refuses to budge. I know though, that they have fun because they talk about going outside and playing with fun things on the way there - it is just the initial separation that gets them. Tyler has started not even wanting to leave so I am not too worried about the anxiety in the mornings. If I ever feel like they would be ok if they knew I worked here (still a secret to them for now) I will take some pictures of them at school!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment