I haven't meant to be neglectful about posting here, but being the new "kid" at work means that I have been pretty busy. This week, especially. I have had work events the last two evenings and haven't been home before the kids go to bed. Lance says that they say "mama tuck like rito?" over and over again, and ask for me to give kisses and read - they just don't understand why I am not there for the normal bedtime routine. Tucking them in "like a burrito" is a hold-over from when they were itty bitty. They would squeal and laugh, and back then would stay put - now they ask you to do it, lay there for a bit giggling and then jump up and want you to do it again :)! It makes me sad to have to leave them nowadays because they are so much better at expressing what they do and don't want. Yesterday, they were yelling and screaming as I walked out the door and Katie was saying - mama no go bye bye - no work, and Tyler was looking at Lance sincerely saying "mama have to work." Before their words were so good I could imagine that they were thinking that they didn't want to be left, but hearing it so clearly is heartbreaking. I recently read a blog where the mother of a two year old did a post of the words her child was saying at two - for posterity sake. I thought about doing that, but there are too many to list and think of so for future reference here is a list of their top ten favorite words!
Tyler - Donut, cereal bar, cheese, chocolate milk (he still thinks that is what he is drinking but he's not), more cookie (see a pattern here), Ray Ray, So So, see ya later ca co dile, what's that, and there it is (said in the cutest inflection that neither Lance or I can imitate). He also often says Katie mean (which we correct), and has definitely acquired a taste for the normal toddler words - no, mine, is Tyler's!
Funnily enough, Katie's teacher at school said that Katie is "short on words, but knows a lot." She told me a story of Katie resisting naptime (still and everyday) and while she lays on her mat she starts out by calling out to Tyler and when he doesn't respond she says the names of everyone else in the class. The teacher was amazed that she knew all of those names, because she apparently doesn't use them unless she wants something (like them to get up from nap and play with her). I think of Katie as a complete chatterbox so it was a bit surprising that she is considered quiet - she still does the cute thing where she says a whole bunch of jibberish framed by real words at the beginning and end but that is just because she truly thinks she is saying something that we can all understand and having a conversation just like us!
Her favorite (or most often said) ten words/phrases are: Bye-bye, Katie sit by you, Katie color, ice water, no mama, bumble bee (to get me to sing the song), ABC (again for the song), hot dog, mama/daddy read it, swing outside! They both have acquired a few new common phrases just because of our new school situation and everyday both say "mama have to work," "play outside," "school day," and "big hug" (when we get in the classroom and they have to say bye). They are doing so well at school, and having fun but it is still a little tough for them to be dropped off and the routine of saying those same things as we drive to work (along with oh-no traffic, which I am very glad is what came out of my mouth when we have been stuck on the interstate), and then doing the same things when we get in the room have really helped.
I have a lot I want to do this weekend and those coming up - The Arts and Crafts fair at Centennial is this weekend, it is Fall Harvest weekend at the zoo and Ghouls at Grassmere for Halloween starts the second weekend in October, Gentry Farms (the pumpkin, patch, hayride, maze, farm animals) opens this weekend and apparently it is less crowded now than it will be the next two weekends after this (which are supposed to be ridiculous), Yo Gabba Gabba is coming to town, etc., etc. So, I will hopefully have some new pictures after whichever of these adventures we make it to. Of course, I still don't realize how short weekends are because I also want to try to make it to the bachelorette party for Lance's brother's fiance (while he is at the Bachelor party so probably a no go), the Vandy football game in October, his brother's wedding, and then Lance's birthday has also snuck up on me and is next week! Sometimes I am sad that "mama has to work" too!
No comments:
Post a Comment