Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Memorial Day!

We had a fabulous Memorial Day weekend and we are anxiously counting down the days until we leave for Disney!!!  The weekend was spent mostly at the pool, and the kids sure did enjoy playing in the water.  The pools were still a little cold, but by the time we get back they should be perfect.  For now, the kids didn't mind hanging in the kid's area and once it is a little warmer I am sure we will be back and forth between this one where they don't have to wear their floaties and the big pool where they absolutely do until they finally learn to swim!

We leave Friday morning for the Magic Kingdom and in the meantime are furiously trying to wash enough clothes to pack (and find suitcases which we haven't needed to use in forever), mow the lawn, and finish up things at work that will be put off for a week.  I haven't taken a week long vacation in a very long time and even though this won't be a relaxing one, I can hardly wait for it to begin!

On the school front things are still stressful!  We now cannot find aftercare at all.  The one at the school has a 10 person waiting list that they don't expect to move, and another we found has an even longer wait for acceptance (plus it is double the cost).  Obviously the school is not keeping up with the needs of the families in attendance since it seems that more families than they can accommodate just can't make it to pick up their children at 2:45/3:00.  We are just going to have to try to make it work with Lance getting them and taking them to his office, me getting off as soon as I can to get them from him, and I don't quite know just yet what we will do if neither of us can get off early.  I also don't know what we are going to do about the two weeks off in October, December and March which becomes even more complicated when we don't have back-up aftercare or care when school is out.  I don't have that many vacation days (especially since I am using up so many now and when school starts with half days), and if Lance has something going on his flexibility is not good - I think I really hate this almost year round school calendar.  I do think it would be great if I didn't work, but with two parents working it sucks!  We are still putting them in Kindergarten, because we will have to figure it all out sometime, but I am really going to have to do a lot of finagling at work to get them to be on board with an early in, early out work schedule when so much of what I do is dependent on working with people who have a more traditional work day.  I also will likely never find another job where I could make it work like I hopefully can here, so I hope that I can keep this one for a while!  Now that Disney is upon us, I think it is definitely time to start saving for summer, fall and spring break camps - those things are expensive and really the only option.  Looks like Lance's poor car needs to hang on even longer  :)!  Hard to believe that Kindergarten is two months away!



No comments: