Well, it seems that we don't have anyone to watch the kids. I haven't heard back from any of the people interested. I guess it could be what I am offering to pay, but it is really all we can do and seems fair to me. I am telling them $15 an hour if two days (4 to 5 hours per week) or $100 for three days. There is a local place that does have openings but they would have to ride a bus and it is $600 per month for three days ($800 for five) and care for in-service days, school breaks, snow days, etc. is extra! I think I will hear back from the Vandy girl (she can't start until August 20th), but she is working at a summer camp and doesn't have access to email - fingers crossed. Everyone else I have heard from want to keep the kids at their house and for now that isn't ideal, especially since we live literally a block from the school. Oh well, at least I think Lance and I have something worked out just in case!
No really big plans this weekend but Lance and I do get a night out (thanks Liz). Lance is in a golf tournament and Saturday night they have a couples dinner, so that should be fun. We also have plans for the kids to go visit my mom and dad at the end of the summer and we are excited to have some time to go out then too (and get some back to school shopping done without the kids in tow). I always miss them like crazy, and it is so strange having a quiet house and no kid responsibilities, but it is also really fun to have time to go to a movie, or out to dinner and a reprieve from the nightly dinner, bath, bed routine! I think part of the reason I wish we got to go out more is just to avoid that on occasion, more than actually wanting to get out of the house :)! I went by McDonald's on the way home today since I knew Lance wouldn't be home until late and it was already pushing 6:00 when we walked in the door and I know it isn't healthy, but it sure is easier than scrambling to fix something for the always starving these days kids. That will be one good thing about having a couple of early days in the week once school starts - we'll be able to have a real dinner as a family rather than either trying to get them to hold off until a bit later or feeding them a separate meal early!
The kids don't really seem to be learning many new skills lately at school. They aren't much closer to reading but have all that they need to learn, I think. They know all of their letters (lower and uppercase) and all of the sounds, and have quite a few site words and can sound out any word that follows the basic rules (i.e. - c-a-t). So, I am not worried although I do wish that they were still getting some instruction at this point to prepare, but they are having fun and that is important too. Tyler is absolutely obsessed with drawing right now - he is really pretty talented and puts lots of detail into his work - but he literally spends hours drawing dinosaurs and superheros and Toy Story characters, and really anything he can think of. He then cuts them out and he and Katie play with them in elaborate pretend games - cheap entertainment really! Katie is still all about wanting to play outside at any opportunity - which I think is great. Our next purchases after school stuff will be "big" bikes that they really want instead of their "baby" trikes and twin beds. Katie is sure to love riding a real bike and I would guess she will be the first to go without training wheels - but Tyler has really surprised me at the pool lately. He let me try to teach him to tread water and float on his back without his floaties and he will put his face under. Katie still loves jumping in, but is a little fearful without her floaties. I haven't heard back from the Y about their swim lessons (what is it with so many people having no follow-through) and all of the other programs are either too expensive or too hard for us to get to everyday for two weeks, so I am not sure what we will do about swim lessons, but we still want someone other than us to teach them sometime in July. I think they will be really receptive right now, and it will help for them not to have me to cling to when trying to learn how to stay afloat. It is also good for them to see other younger children at the pool able to swim, because both of them are pretty competitive (shocker) and I think it is driving them to want to learn more. No matter what it is still a floaties around water at all times summer, but they aren't too far off from really enjoying swimming, I think. We are loving having the pool available to us this summer, and that is even the plan for tomorrow night if it doesn't rain - family fun night (without Lance unfortunately) and the pool is open until dark. It wears the kids out, they enjoy making friends out there, and I can swim with them or read when they are in the little pool so fun for all!
No comments:
Post a Comment