I am suffering major "mom guilt" right now. Tonight we were working on sounding out words (it has been a while) and they seem to have forgotten a lot of what they once knew. They were doing so well with being able to identify all of the letter sounds, upper and lowercase, and now just try to guess at the words when they see the pictures or the first letter. I just have not had time to really work on it with them lately and I feel so guilty that I haven't been able to fill in the gaps left by them transitioning to a new class and that teacher/director knowing that they will be going to Kindergarten and not having a vested interest in their progress. This is when being a working full-time mom really sucks. I know that there simply aren't enough hours in the day to get it all done, and I know it will get worse when they get busy with school, and I just have to try to make the best of it and know that it will all work out. They are smart kids, and I know that they will do fine and I am just projecting. I know that because they will be the youngest (and probably smallest) they will be judged more harshly regarding their kindergarten readiness and I just have to realize that there is nothing I can do about it and be confident in my belief that they are ready for school and that they would have been going to school no doubt if not for an arbitrary date change.
In good news, we finally have swim lessons scheduled! Tomorrow night they will have their first semi-private (just Katie and Tyler) lesson. They are so much more comfortable with water and seem to really want to learn like some of the other kids they have seen at the pool so I have my fingers crossed that these lessons will be more beneficial than the group lessons. In the next two weeks they will have five lessons and I am hoping that they (or I) will at least learn something that we can build on to really get them swimming! They just have two weeks of preschool left, then a week with my family, and then Kindergarten. I really can't believe it - Tyler said tonight that he likes to still snuggle with us even though he is almost five and it is true, whether he knows it or not, that our snuggle time and time spent hanging out as a family out of preference is probably pretty short :(. I have to remember that when I obsess about developmental stuff, because I know that it won't mean much in a few years and definitely isn't worth worrying over!
No comments:
Post a Comment