The time has come when we realize that the babies are just waking in the middle of the night out of habit and not real hunger. They are biologically and physically capable of skipping that midnight-1:00 feeding and are really just wanting to be fed because they can't put themselves back to sleep. So, last night we decided to truly try to Ferber method (that coincides with the Moms on Call method sort of - they say put them in their room and don't go back in until morning)! Well, Ferber recommends progressively longer check-ins on them without feeding, meaning you go in after 5 minutes of crying, then 10, then 12 every time after that. I made it 2 hours (me crying the whole time along with Tyler) before I just couldn't take it anymore! Of course, when we went to feed them they were pretty disinterested in the bottle but were very happy to be up! They went back to sleep after that pretty well, Tyler because he was extremely exhausted after hours of screaming at the top of his lungs (I need to go apologize to the neighbors whose bedroom is on that side of the house!). We are going to try a different approach - weaning them off that night feed by giving them less and less throughout the next few evenings until they are making up for it in the day and I prove to myself that they don't need it. Lance was upset with me because he made me promise that I could do it if we were going to start it and I really thought I could, but hearing my baby boy cry incessantly broke my heart and I just couldn't handle it just yet. Oh well, the middle of the night wake-up isn't horrible and I can do it for a couple of more months!!!
Rolling Update! Katie rolled from her back to her front and we both saw it! Unfortunately, she got on her belly and couldn't get back over since she refuses to participate in tummy time! So, after we let her try to figure it out for a while we rolled her to her back again and she proceeded to get on her side but stopped short of going back on her tummy :-)! She now sleeps on her side, it is one of the sweetest things to see - her all curled up on her side with her fingers in her mouth! I am trying to enjoy it now because I am certain it will progress to her rolling all the way to her belly and then yelling when she can't get back over in the middle of the night!!! Needless to say, this weekend is all about tummy time for these two!
No comments:
Post a Comment