Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hearing Test

Well, we canceled the kid's hearing test today. They just don't seem like they have trouble hearing and seem to be progressing well in terms of speech and communication so we are going to give it at least until they are 18 months old and reevaluate where they are then. The co-pays, time off work and hassle wouldn't be a consideration if we thought they really needed it, but as it is I think it would be a bit of a waste of time and money. Katie still doesn't talk nearly as much as Tyler and doesn't say words nearly as clearly as Tyler, but she is trying and she definitely is learning to communicate. Lance thinks (and I tend to agree) that she is just a stubborn one and won't talk if she doesn't feel like it. She babbles like crazy and does this really cute ooohh noise at anything she thinks is interesting - I really think she thinks she is talking and she might be and we just haven't figured out what she is saying yet. She points and looks at us so sincerely and we act like we understand, but really have no clue what she is trying to get across :-)! Things like them both waving when the front door opens, responding to my request to bring me things, pointing up and saying it when they see a light, running to their chairs when I ask if they want to eat, etc. makes me really think that hearing is not an issue. Speech may still be, but I want to give them some time since twins are often behind, as are those who are premature and I wouldn't be surprised if they start "talking" up a storm here soon. It seems like Katie is testing some new things out - shoe, sock, shirt - but she is choosing difficult first words! Tyler is still infatuated with the word ball (and there are plenty for him to point out around the house) but is starting to mimic and will bust out a touchdown every now and then too! Mama and Dada are still an issue, they aren't saying them to us but they will bring Mama the book, take Dada the ball etc. so they are getting there. Tyler might be a little confused though because sometimes when he does the touchdown symbol he says da da instead of tuh duh - although that could just be smart association on his part!

We might get a snow day tomorrow and if so we'll get the kids bundled up and take some quick pictures!!! They have downgraded our chances though and are now saying only an inch at most so probably no snowman - so sad!

2 comments:

Megan : Velveteen Mind said...

Shellie! I finally put 2 and 2 together today and realized you have a blog. Aaaaaand that you are Shellie of the "Shellie and Lance" in my head.

I'm going to blame baby brain. I think you'll agree on that one.

Your twins are unbelievably adorable. Congratulations. You and Lance done good. ;)

This is sort of a random post for me to choose for my first comment, but I was nodding along as I read it and thought I'd stop and agree that stubbornness might be at play here. I hear experts say all the time that these kids will do what they do when they do it.

Off to read some more and grin at all of your pictures. Ooh, and I saw in your sidebar that there's a Huntingdon young alumni blog? Man, you are tapped in to what's going on.

Tell Lance we said hey!

Shellie said...

This probably isn't the best place to respond, but I just today realized that I had comments (oops). I have commented over on Velveteen Mind but wanted to say here, too, that I love, love your blog! Reading yours made me realize that I probably should have used pseudonyms, but too late now - I underestimated the public nature of blogs when I started!

Oh, and not tapped in at all - I probably just came across the Huntingdon blog when I was procrastinating at one time or another :-)!!!