Saturday, February 6, 2010

I'm a Big Girl!

The kids are getting into the stage where they are starting to mimic a lot of what we do, and echo things we say too (uh oh). They still haven't totally picked up mama and dada with intent, so I am still a bit concerned, but they are doing great with new words, and understanding directions, and trying to get their point across. I honestly feel like they are fine, but the mom/dad labels thing is supposed to be so indicative of speech development that it does worry me some. I think Lance is right, if there weren't two of them demanding the same attention from the same person most of the time, if we were able to give them more one on one time just to work on communication and words and coloring and things like that, then I actually think they would be ahead because they are picking things up really well with the limited amount of time we can put into it. For me, that is what is important - that they are obviously developing, that they seem to be on track, and that they are learning to communicate to make life a little less frustrating. I don't need for them to recite their alphabet or know their colors at this age - I just want to make sure that we don't need to provide any intervention to better prepare them. I really, really don't think we are anywhere near that point and I think that the "right" words will come soon.

I got to play tennis today (woohoo- it has been almost SIX months and I finally decided the money spent was worth it to get back out there), and Lance was on baby duty, which explains why my daughter is dressed the way she is in the pictures below. Cute, of course, but I just wanted to put it out there (in case she reads this one day) that I was not the one taking pictures of her in a diaper and socks!!! Since two of their newer words are "shoe" and "sock" they are obsessed with both - especially shoes of ours. They have figured out how to get them on their feet, and stand up, and grin like crazy because they think they are so funny, but until today they couldn't walk in our shoes and that was what Katie really, really wanted to do. When she finally figured out how to get my shoes on her feet, stand up in them and then get them to move with her feet she was SOOOO happy! Lance said that he was cracking up and watching her walk around for a while before he finally decided to take some pictures. I guess it must be "twin mom guilt," or something, but I have a hard time posting only pictures of one of them, just like I can't get an outfit for only one, or give them un-equal numbers of cookies - very odd. But, these two of just Katie are too cute not to share, so it's a Katie only picture post (Tyler is actually, probably grateful since he was wearing the diaper/sock combo too)!

No comments: