Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July Weekend

We had an awesome Holiday weekend. It started with the kids staying overnight (!) with So-So and Ray-Ray on Friday. Lance and I went out for dinner and drinks and had a ball while the kids enjoyed spending time playing in their grandparents backyard, reading lots of books (their new obsession - literally, obsessed) and eating yummy blueberries (it's pretty funny that at all of their grandparents houses they eat healthier than they do at home - I always thought that grandparents were the ones to give sweets and candy). On Sunday we took the kids to Centennial Park to feed the ducks and they thought it was great throwing the bread and watching the "quack quacks" gobble it up. I toyed with the idea of letting them stay up to watch fireworks, but playing in the backyard and baby pool all afternoon meant Katie was ready for sleep at 6:30 so that didn't really work out since it wasn't dark until 9:00! We went to the Adventure Science Museum on Sunday followed by more backyard play. It is amazing how exhausted the kids get after just a couple of hours in the baby pool, and on the swings and slide. I have to admit, we were pretty worn out too! I don't know if the kids have molars coming in, if Katie has an allergy, or if they picked up a slight cold - but Katie was unusually cranky (she is often pretty stubborn about getting her way but this was whining, I don't feel good, lay down on mama type of stuff). They didn't have fevers, and when they were in the pool or swings or out and about they were pretty good so I hope it isn't a lingering sickness - it really seems like teeth or allergies, both pretty common at this this age and time of year.

This is kind of an odd look - but Tyler has gotten so expressive with his "conversations" lately. He nods his head and scrunches up his face when he tells you what he is doing - like here when he was confirming that we would go "outside" after we cleaned up. It still amazes me to watch and hear them learning language and the nuances of talking TO someone.

My prissy little girl loves pretending that hairthings are necklaces and bracelets - unfortunately, though, she won't keep them in her hair. We are undecided about her hair. It probably needs to be cut because it is annoying her hanging in her eyes, but I don't want to try to keep trimming her bangs all the time so we think we should let it grow past eye level (but that means barrettes are a must right now- and she takes them out immediately)! Poor thing got her mom and dad's hair that just grows down and straight but she does have a few curls in her new "rat tail" :-)!

They were SO excited about the ducks.

The water hose was more Tyler's style - he was helping dad water our already dead grass and almost dead trees (I've loved the sunny weather, but guess we do need some rain some time). Katie is pretty fearless in the pool now - she "swims" laying on her belly and kicking her feet, "floats" on her back to get her "hair wet," and sprays the hose on herself and anyone around her.

No comments: