Two nights ago Katie "woke-up" screaming. I went into her room and she was sitting straight up in her bed wailing. I picked her up and soon realized that she was not really awake. She was looking around kind of dazed, breathing fast, not focusing on anything, and didn't really want to be comforted. It, of course, worried me but after about 30 minutes of holding her, taking her temperature, etc. we put her back to bed. She went right back to sleep and was fine for the remainder of the night. The next day she acted like she didn't feel well at all and was very clingy with flushed cheeks. We took her temperature again and it was only slightly elevated so we started thinking she is teething (unlike her brother she still doesn't have a few that would normally be here by now). Then, that evening Pam said that she slept for a long time at daycare (makes sense since she was up in the middle of the night) and wouldn't really eat or drink and just didn't seem to feel well. We took her temperature again and it was 102.5 - too high for teething generally (I can feel nubs where her molars will be, but can't tell if they are coming in or not). Yesterday, she had kind of cloudy, glassy looking eyes but low temperatures and didn't seem to be acting sick. This morning she was seemingly back to normal. So, I still don't know what was going on - she could have had a little virus, she could have had a nightmare, and she is probably getting some teeth. I just hope that it doesn't recur - especially the nightmare!
They start "school" on August 16th. I am pretty nervous about it because they are not happy at all with strangers these days and it will be a completely new environment with me there, but unable to be with them, which might cause some issues. Plus, "best practices" separate twins in school and they will be in the same classroom with a dividing wall and different teachers and I don't know how that is going to work. On one hand I think it will be good for them to be separate and get to be individuals, but on the other I know that if they can see each other they might cause problems trying to be around the other one. We'll just have to see. I talked to the program manager and potty training isn't imperative right when they start, but they do want them to be in at least the beginning stages of training. Katie sat on the big girl potty last night and wasn't a big fan, Tyler took the "Elmo" seat off of the toilet and carried it around and asked to bring it with him to eat (we said no) - this could be interesting!
We have got to move to toddler beds soon and I just keep putting it off. They still haven't climbed out, but can easily now and we are just lucky that they have so far listened when we tell them to put their legs down and sit down. I know that will change, though, and I want to have them out of the cribs before they hurt themselves. My biggest fear, other than messing with a good thing as far as them sleeping well and through the night, is that they will have a lot more freedom. I know that our days of them sitting in their cribs and talking and playing until a reasonable hour are numbered and I just don't know if when I am starting a new job and they are starting a new school is the best time to also let them wake up and start playing at 5:00 am. Everyone I talk to sings the praises of this My Tot Clock that plays white noise (which the kids still sleep with), turns blue when they have to stay in bed and yellow when they are allowed to get up (you set it for the time that works for you), and has a red light for time-outs and a green light for timed activities that are positive like cleaning up fast or sitting on the potty. It guarantees better sleep or your money back so if we have trouble maybe that will be an option!
A good friend is coming in town tomorrow night and we are trying to find a sitter so we can see her, which makes me think of another future problem! We haven't used sitters other than family very much since the kids were born, but bedtime has been relatively easy since they can just be put in their cribs. Once we make the switch not only will we be fighting early morning wake-ups, but getting them to stay in their beds and go to sleep will also be a struggle, I am sure. There goes my secret hope that Lance would agree to get a sitter now and then once the kids got a bit older - he will never think anyone other than family can handle the new bedtime shenanigans! Something I will have to work on - I love my kids but I do miss date nights!
No comments:
Post a Comment