Thursday, September 6, 2012

Big 4 Year Olds!

Katie and Tyler have really latched on to them turning 4 meaning that they are big kids now.  If Tyler whines Katie will tell him "4 year olds don't whine," and when Katie didn't want to eat her dinner last night Tyler looked at me and told me that she didn't have to because she was already big and strong because she is 4 (she did end up eating her veggies because she  wants to be even bigger and stronger and faster).  It also means that Katie thinks she has even more control over what she wears, which I didn't think was possible!  For her Birthday she got some Ladybug rain boots from So-So and Ray- Ray (Tyler got some fireman ones).  Tyler wore his all day and wanted to wear them to bed, and they both wore them to the grocery store but on Tuesday when we went to school he realized that it wasn't raining and opted for different shoes.  Katie couldn't be convinced that there was no reason to wear hers, because she told me that it had rained yesterday and there were still probably puddles (my explanation that they wouldn't be in her classroom didn't work).  It didn't matter to her that she was wearing a mermaid shirt, a denim skirt, and turquoise leggings (all that she picked out and insisted went together), because she told me that "shoes don't have to match" and wore her boots to complete the disastrous ensemble!

They have always talked about one particular boy in their class who they say is "mean" and "bad" because he apparently gets in trouble often for hitting and scratching.  He will turn 4 this week and Tyler told me that his friend will not be bad anymore because he is 4.  I really hope that it is the case for all the kids, but I doubt it. That conversation led to more talk about the kids in their class - and they identified the nicest one, the silliest one, the one that is their best friend, or the ones that sit at their table and then Lance asked them which one they are.  Tyler said he is the one that "remembers things."  I have to try to remember that Tyler is ALWAYS listening.  Frequently he will repeat something I said when I thought he was out of earshot or not paying attention and I am sure that comment came from my conversation with his teacher when she was amazed that she couldn't find a book in the classroom that he hadn't memorized.  I am still kind of torn on that one - I think it is great that he seems to have an exceptional memory, but I think it is prohibitive for him in learning at this point.  That, and the fact that he thinks that if he knows something he doesn't need to work on it or he gets tired of reviewing it (he seems to have the Allen Iverson view on practice).  It just hasn't clicked with him that he would be better off learning to read the words because he knows that he can just remember what words go with the pictures and still gets to enjoy the story.  He also doesn't yet understand that him knowing his letter sounds and all the letters is the first step in reading and has dismissed working on them anymore (or playing games on the kindle that are letter based) because he is approaching it like everything else - shapes, colors - got it and now I am moving on.  It is hard to explain, and again I know that there isn't really a reason for him to learn to read right now (other than that we are still considering having them tested to enter Kindergarten early), but there just hasn't been that moment of recognition that each letter and sound make up words that can create all sorts of stories.  I guess that might be because of his age, although he is stubborn and a bit of a "know-it-all" so some credit has to be given to personality!  I think, too, that this will always be a challenge.  He will probably get bored in class, and not perform up to the teacher's expectations because he doesn't realize that a big part of school success is proving that you know something.  He knows that he knows it and is ready to learn something else, and doesn't understand why he has to repeat it again and again.  The good thing is that at this point he is not disruptive and is content to entertain himself while his classmates are reviewing something he is familiar with - he will definitely need that if he does have two more years until Kindergarten!

I think we are going to start swim lessons this Saturday.  With football season Saturdays may be a challenge, but I am super busy at work and just can't commit to getting them to Tuesday/Thursday at 5:00 lessons right now.  It is a little late for swim lessons, I know, but  we have meant to do it all summer and can go to the indoor pool at the Y all year and I will be more comfortable taking them by myself while Lance is working once they have had some non parent/child instruction!  Even though I am sad that summer is coming to an end, I do love Fall.  We should have lots of fun things in store - festivals, football, pumpkin patches.  I just hope the weather changes soon and it's not so hot, but maybe not too soon because I really don't have time right now to get the kids geared up for Fall.  Regardless, the next post should include pictures of something fun - I just hope I can get back on here before they are Halloween pictures :)!

No comments: