Well, I am back looking at dance class schedules. There is one closer to our house and they have evening classes so I am considering it even though we would have to buy all the dance gear over again - ballet shoes, tap shoes, leotard, etc. We got the kids assessments from school today and the note from Katie's teachers was concerning. I think dance class or something for Katie to be proud of would be a good thing in light of their comments. They said "Katie is certainly doing quite well in class. She completes every task we ask of her and meets all of her objectives. We would love for her to build up more confidence in herself. She is smart, creative and a terrific friend - we just wish she knew it! Katie is very dependent on her friends for instruction and ideas, which may have much to do with being a twin." That has been my concern too - that she seems to have lost her confidence and is trying to follow the crowd too much. Dance class would be following what the other girls are doing, but she seems to take a lot of pride in her dancing and I think it would do her good to get her back in it and give her something that she enjoys and feels like she can "own."
They both did excellent on their overall assessments, with no areas to work on. Tyler's was less surprising - we kind of knew he was following in my footsteps as teacher's pet and that he doesn't lack for confidence when answering questions. His comments said "Tyler has a remarkable memory and an insatiable curiosity (today he asked me to describe "culture" to him) that will no doubt take him far. He is a natural leader and usually answers our questions before anyone else (and louder), and it sometimes makes it hard to determine if the rest of the class comprehends or just repeats Tyler." He has really blossomed at the new school, and I am not completely convinced that Katie is regressing. I think that she is figuring out the dynamics of girl friendships and will come in to her own soon, but that doesn't mean that we won't try to reassure her that she is smart and that she doesn't need to rely on her friends to make decisions for her. It is kind of funny hearing that Tyler is showing such leadership skills because it always seemed, at the old school, that Katie was truly a natural leader and now Tyler is getting that assessment. Ultimately, I think they are both really cool kids that I am proud to parent, and I appreciate these assessments that guide us into understanding how K & T are navigating these preschool/pre-k years and what we can do help along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment