Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Approved!

The kids had their testing done today at their future elementary school and they have both been approved to enroll in Kindergarten for the Fall.  When I asked each of them what the testing involved it seemed very basic (shapes, recognizing their name, stacking blocks, counting blocks, etc.) so I would have been surprised if they had come back and said they didn't do well.  I think Tyler was disappointed that he didn't get to draw a person - he has been working diligently to master his people drawing skills and his favorite thing right now is to draw a giant on the dry erase board complete with giant ears, crazy hair, and 5 unusually long fingers on each hand :)!  Katie surprised me by volunteering to go first in testing and she woke up this morning very excited to go to visit "Harpee Valley," as she calls it.  Tyler was a bit clingy, but his competitive instincts kicked in and he was anxious to see what Katie had been up to!

Lance is now 50/50 and whereas I was probably more 80/20 for them just to go ahead and get into Kindergarten- I am now kind of in the same boat.  It is just a difficult decision because there really are as many pros as there are cons.  I still think it can't be good for them to have essentially two years of Kindergarten instruction (PK class at their school uses Kindergarten curriculum and then a year of true Kindergarten).  I do, see, however that the other considerations of them being quite small, and the youngest (in some cases by a lot since so many families do "redshirt" their children) are important factors.  We definitely have some thinking to do - and I have a call in to the school to see if there is a deadline!

I had a great birthday celebration yesterday and this weekend!  Ray-Ray and So-So kept the kids for us Saturday night and we went to dinner downtown, which was great.  Last night all of us went to the Japanese Steakhouse near our house and it was yummy and the kids had a great time.  I was so impressed with Katie - she ate her soup, salad, fried rice and shrimp!  She isn't usually a picky eater, but salad and soup aren't usually on the menu, either - but she thought it was great and felt like such a big girl!  They helped make me a cake on Sunday and gave me the cutest homemade cards when I picked them up from school!  All in all, spending time with Lance and then our family was a great way to celebrate!

No comments: