Friday, November 7, 2008

First Babysitter

Should I be concerned that the babysitter just literally RAN out of the house? Seriously, she said that the babies were good and didn't freak out too much, but then when walking down the stairs she said deceptively nonchalantly - "I thought I wanted twins but..." I oddly get a little cocky when I hear that people finally realize that twins have a flip side to the cute two newborns thing, and when I encounter someone who really, really wants twins I find that I want to tell each and every one of them what it is really like to have newborn twins. A lot of people who see us out and about mention how they always wanted twins, how twins would be so fun, how perfect it is to knock it out all at once, how we can be done now that we have one of each, yada, yada, and I have to bite my tongue not to say do you know how hard this is, how we take pride in them only waking once a night because that is really rare, how we get excited if there is one hour an evening without one of them crying, how we actually feel guilty (or at least I do) that we have to hear them cry and physically can't pick them both up and cuddle and hold them, how it is a real ordeal to even go to the grocery store, and that you feel like such an oddball because moms of singletons would never let their babies cry for even a minute! Don't get me wrong - I feel completely blessed and love being a twin mom but it can be frustrating when people completely underestimate what it is like to have TWO newborns. I have no clue how parents of triplets or more make it, I really don't.

Honestly, the babysitter did great - Katie was asleep when we got in at 10:00 PM and Tyler was fed and that was fabulous - to have one evening that we did not have to do the feeding, rocking, bathing routine!!! Tyler is in there squawking right now and I will probably go in and rock him and love on him a bit, but it is amazing how much easier that is when I haven't listened to screaming and been spit up on A LOT for the last two or more hours!!! It really was quite funny just how fast the sitter left! I don't know if it was because she is a Lipscomb student and probably a non-drinker and she could tell we had indulged in a couple, or if the wrath of Katie and Tyler was just too much, but we came in at 9:50 and she was out the door and in her car at 9:52. All in all though, I rate the evening a success - Lance and I had a fabulous dinner, went to Corner Pub for a drink and really had a good time, and then got home with the fun part (snuggling and cuddling) only left for us to do for the evening! I do believe that this could become a habit - not really - we don't have the money or inclination for that, but we do plan to try to make it out at least once a month - it's good for sanity IMO!

No comments: